miniBB ® 

miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Official Addons and Solutions miniBB Support Forums / Official Addons and Solutions /  

First Page News

Page  Page 3 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »

Author Julian
Partaker
#31 | Posted: 17 Aug 2005 04:47 
I've tried setting it tof FALSE already... and it's not just makeLim(); I cut and paste makeLim() into the hack first page, and then I removed it from setup_mysql. Then what happens is that the NEXT function gets called on the same error... so the entirely setup_mysql must have been included twice, and I can't seem to figure out where.

The paths are right... I've checked it dozens of times.

Thanks for the response though!

Author Team
8-)
#32 | Posted: 17 Aug 2005 10:14 
I am sure you have missed something or understood wrong. There could not be miracles in this case. Don't remove something nor from setup_mysql.php, nor from index.php, nor from any of the forum core files - there are no reason for doing that if your news plugin is not running. News plugin is just an ADDON, and it works separately from forums core.

Anyway, be sure that the script, which you are including news hack from, does not include anything from the forum itself, so it does not include index.php or whatevere.

If you will still have problems, and if you could provide a temporary access to your server via FTP, I could help you a bit and prove that your mistake is probably very easy and funny. In this case, contact us privately - ghappa [at] gmail.com.

Author Julian
Partaker
#33 | Posted: 18 Aug 2005 03:28 
Thank you very much! :-D

Author Team
8-)
#34 | Posted: 18 Aug 2005 11:16 
The problem is that you are trying to include this module in the forums' index.php, but the module is designed for YOUR OWN script, as standalone program. Of course, it will not work with forums themselves, as its purpose is completely another! Look at our site:

https://www.minibb.com/index.php - we have index.php here, and have included hack_1stpagenews2.php in it, so it displays a news feed from our "News and Announcements" forum;

https://www.minibb.com/forums/index.php - this is original miniBB's index.php, and it is not in any way related to the hack_1stpagenews2.php, nor hack_1stpagenews2.php is related to it.

They are 2 completely different index.php files!

Hope you get an idea now...

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#35 | Posted: 18 Aug 2005 20:37 
But continuing thought, you CAN include this script from forums directory, too. But in that case, you do not need to edit index.php - just set $excludeIncludes=TRUE; and $path='./'; (for Linux) and $displayMethod=0; - then paste:

include('./hack_1stpagenews2.php');

in bb_plugins.php and you will have {$tplNews} variable available in any place of templates/main_header.html

I don't understand only one thing - WHY do you need news separated from forum, if you ALREADY have the news section on this page, within forum sections?

Author chazyvr
Partaker
#36 | Posted: 7 Jan 2006 06:30 
Sorry for asking a dumb question....

I've downloaded the First Page News addon and followed the instructions, but what do I add to my index.html to make the latest topics show up?

Because I'm using html page, I figured I would use the javascript code. But nothing shows up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Author Team
8-)
#37 | Posted: 9 Jan 2006 08:24 
<script language="JavaScript" src="http://www.somedomain.com/forums/hack_1stpagenews2.php"></script>

This is what do you need to add, if you want to use JS code. All option paths and URLs must be set correctly, else nothing will work.

Author chazyvr
Partaker
#38 | Posted: 11 Jan 2006 22:53 
hmm. well, i've included that and i've triple checked my paths. can't seem to figure it out. :(

Author Team
8-)
#39 | Posted: 12 Jan 2006 09:04 
If you show us real URL, probably we could help you in determining more.

Author chazyvr
Partaker
#40 | Posted: 12 Jan 2006 09:13 
My URL is... www.globalyouthfund.org

http://www.globalyouthfund.org/forum/hack_1stpagenews2.php

I've set the options as...

/* Some options */
$displayForums=array(1,2,3,4); /* Define comma-delimited array of IDs of your forum(s). Topic data from these forum(s) will be displayed in addon. To view forum ID, mouse over on forum's title in forum on the first page, and check out the data link saying "forum=...".IDs of forums to use in display */

$limit=5; /* Number of topics to be displayed */

$displayMethod=2; /* Usual echo - 1; Display via JavaScript - 2; just keep content within $tplNews - 0 */

$sort='topic_last_post_id DESC'; /* Order by: 'topic_id' OR 'topic_last_post_id' */

$post_sort=1; /* If 0, first post will be displayed under topic's title (slower); else last (faster) */

$maxTxtLength=200; /* Maximum Text length within display. If 0, post text will not be displayed, and script execution will be FASTER. */

$path='/usr/var/www/forum/'; /* Absolute or relative path to your forums directory (with ending slash). You can define it as '/usr/var/www' or something, if you know it exactly, or you can define it comparatively to your script that calls HACK_1stPageNews2.php. For example, if you have /forums/ directory inside your main directory, you can define it as './forums'. Please note: if you are calling script from JavaScript source, you NEED to define it as '/usr/var/www' (e.g. absolute). */

$l_months='January:February:March:April:May:June:July:August:September :October:November:December'; /* Textual definitions of Months, may be the same or not as in Language Pack */

$dateFormatNews='F j, Y'; /* Date format; may differ from what you have on forums */

$excludeIncludes=FALSE; /* If you are including this file from the file, which is already using minBB functions, set to TRUE so they will not repeat each other and produce an error. */

Author Team
8-)
#41 | Posted: 12 Jan 2006 09:37 
chazyvr
Your path is definitely defined incorrectly. '/usr/var/www' we give here is just AN EXAMPLE. In every case, this path is different.

Create this script in your forums folder (like cwd.php):

<?php echo getcwd(); ?>

and point URL to it - you will see your real path.

Author chazyvr
Partaker
#42 | Posted: 12 Jan 2006 09:41 
sorry, i was messing with that setting. I did have it set to the absolute path...

http://www.globalyouthfund.org/forum/

but that didn't work. :(

Should that have worked?

(Thanks for the help btw.)

Author Team
8-)
#43 | Posted: 12 Jan 2006 10:38 
I've explained you what to do. Absolute path is not your URL.

Most probably it is

/homepages/14/d104355242/htdocs/Fund/forum/

Author chazyvr
Partaker
#44 | Posted: 12 Jan 2006 18:02 
Awesome. Thank you so much. It worked! :)

I'll have to mess with the look before uploading it.

I didn't know absolute path is not your URL. :(

Author Team
8-)
#45 | Posted: 13 Jan 2006 09:26 
We can't find notice in our comment about this option, that this must be URL or something beginning with http. Read manuals more carefully.

Page  Page 3 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next » 
Official Addons and Solutions miniBB Support Forums / Official Addons and Solutions /
 First Page News
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Proceed with the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑