®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
FAQ miniBB Support Forums / FAQ /  

Upgrade and Upgrading / Migrating guides

Page  Page 7 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »

Author tom322
#91 | Posted: 9 Nov 2009 15:18 
Here is the old layout: http://web.archive.org/web/20080118150607/www.minibb.net/forums/12_4177_0.html. I'm not sure if that was easier to read and if clutter was less..

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#92 | Posted: 10 Nov 2009 07:45 
wilkinsmd:
The great thing however is that with minibb we can don't need to fight it out and pick one, since it can be customized to meet various preferences.
You're right. We could keep both versions and just provide an instruction of how to set up this and that. I'll think about it :-)

Author wilkinsmd
#93 | Posted: 20 Nov 2009 19:08 
I recently completed an upgrade from 2.0 to 2.4a and overall things are fine. However I'm still having one small issue: on the main forums page, at the bottom in the list of "Recent Topics," the "Latest Reply" column shows a date and time but not the poster, just a "-". I know there's a new "topic_last_poster" field in the minibb_topics table but it is empty for all posts. Now, if a user posts a reply after the upgrade their username will show up in this field, but for any topics which haven't been replied to since the upgrade there is no name showing. Is there a solution for this problem available?

Thanks
Mark

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#94 | Posted: 23 Nov 2009 04:08 
Run Database upgrading tool. It will update new fields with their values.

Author wilkinsmd
#95 | Posted: 24 Nov 2009 08:03 
Thanks. I had uploaded it and untared, but for whatever reason hadn't actually run it. Good to go now.

Author Guest
~
#96 | Posted: 31 Aug 2011 17:05 
teva:
Collation was set to latin1_swedish_ci. After changing to utf8_unicode_ci i could again post all special characters.
My side also Collation set to latin1_swedish_ci, how can I change them to utf8_unicode_ci? is there any command for doing that?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#97 | Posted: 31 Aug 2011 17:55 
Search in Google for that term and you'll find tons of solutions.
You'll need to export/import the whole database for that, it's the most simple way.

Author Prince
Partaker
#98 | Posted: 31 Aug 2011 18:45 
Paul:
Search in Google for that term and you'll find tons of solutions.
Thanks for that. (I forgot to login by my user ID).

Changing the collation for all tables in a MySQL database

Just need to use the following PHP script for changing the collation for all tables at a time:

<?php
$db = mysql_connect('localhost','DB_USER','User_Pass');
if(!$db) echo "Cannot connect to the database - incorrect details";
mysql_select_db('DB_Name'); $result=mysql_query('show tables');
while($tables = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
foreach ($tables as $key => $value) {
mysql_query("ALTER TABLE $value COLLATE utf8_general_ci");
}}
echo "The collation of your database has been successfully changed!";
?>
Make sure to substitute in the above script:

- DB_Name with your database name;

- DB_USER with your mysql username;

- User_Pass with your password for the mysql user;

- utf8-general_ci with your new collation if different;

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#99 | Posted: 1 Sep 2011 08:59 
Ok, if the solution might be just about running one query, I suppose it's about that:

ALTER TABLE table_name COLLATE utf8_general_ci;
and you can run it straight as the mySQL query, without any script :)

Thanks for that though.

Author Genius
#100 | Posted: 23 Jan 2012 23:43 
Hello,

When I want to update sql history can't do that with sql command because I get this error whenever I try to do that:

SQL History Update

Any Idea how to update history?

Regards,

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#101 | Posted: 24 Jan 2012 11:30 
You need to execute queries from !UPDATE_DB.sql following your current version number. You don't have to execute queries which are not for your version, as they may be applied already. It means you need to do a selection of queries, not to execute them blindly all at once. In your case, it seems you have a miniBB version higher than 1.x. This command is only for miniBB 1.x.

Following down the queries file, you will discover, that there are commands for 2.0 RC3, 2.0 RC5, 2.0.3 and 2.1. Comparing with your version, you need to execute only those queries which are necessary.

Author Genius
#102 | Posted: 24 Jan 2012 20:51 
Paul:
hat there are commands for 2.0 RC3, 2.0 RC5, 2.0.3 and 2.1. Comparing with your version, you need to execute only those queries which are necessary.
Thank you!

I did it from: #2.0 RC3 to #2.0.3 (it worked).

How about this one: convdb.php

Which one should I choose? My Old version is: 2.5
There is 3 Options:

1.7 series (this will update number of topics, posts, user messages number, topic latest post time)
2.0 RC2b and earlier 2.0 beta series (this will update number of user messages and topic latest post time)
2.0.x stable (this will update topic's latest poster username)

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#103 | Posted: 25 Jan 2012 09:59 
Genius:
How about this one: convdb.php Which one should I choose? My Old version is: 2.5
You don't have to run it for this version. Not each miniBB version needs database updates.

Actually I'm not sure why you are not following the updating guide. It contains very precise instructions on each version's change. You should carefully follow such instructions, from top to bottom, collecting information about updated files and mySQL updates for your current version. For example, if you have version 2.5, you don't have to apply anything from the instruction, which is *above* this version .

Author trc4949
Partaker
#104 | Posted: 17 May 2016 11:24 
How do I preserve certain files if I have to upgrade minibb in the future ?

I am starting to change certain template files and will change the stylesheet also...

How do I make changes to files and then preserve the changes during/after future upgrades ?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#105 | Posted: 17 May 2016 14:21 
Templates and CSS stylesheet usually are not included in miniBB upgrades. Each version we release, has an updating history in update.txt file; if there's something mandatory to update in templates, we always mention it for the certain version. So you just need to apply miniBB's changes to your own templates, and NOT overwrite your templates with default ones and then restore your own customized changes.

The same about CSS file, which is upgraded truly rarely in the recent times.

Page  Page 7 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next » 
FAQ miniBB Support Forums / FAQ /
 Upgrade and Upgrading / Migrating guides
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Try the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑