®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /  

Server load?

Author Colbyt51
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 3 Feb 2020 21:46 
This looks like a very nice, simple forum and not a bloated resource hog like some of the others.

I am trying to determine how much server you need to power the site. I have a lower end VPS.

If you don't have a definitive answer and you are using a VPS , please share your specs.

Author tom322
#2 | Posted: 4 Feb 2020 03:55 
Good share host will be just fine; VPS will be too.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#3 | Posted: 5 Feb 2020 00:10 
Colbyt51:
I am trying to determine how much server you need to power the site. I have a lower end VPS.
If you start with miniBB, I think, you don't have to give yourself a question "will it work with my server", 'cause in 99% of cases it will :) but gradually as your forum grows you should analyze it and add more powers to your VPS, if necessary.

Actually it all depends on the amount of instant visitors, which affects the processor load and memory space. Some our customers running active forums with about 200-300 instant visitors switched to a dedicated server. Dedicated server is still the best option for heavy traffic projects.

But for a start, you don't have to own a lot of resources. I suppose, even some medium plan on a shared hosting could work for a start. VPS definitely should work.

Author Colbyt51
Partaker
#4 | Posted: 5 Feb 2020 17:47 
Paul

Thank you for your personal reply.

I am fairly sure as you used it 'instant' means concurrent . I doubt that will happen for a very long time. :)

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#5 | Posted: 5 Feb 2020 18:49 
Colbyt51:
'instant' means concurrent
You're right, I was about concurrent visitors (those hitting website once in a time period and which are handled by miniBB's Who's Online add-on).

Colbyt51:
I doubt that will happen for a very long time. :)
If you don't plan to invest a lot in promotion, and/or if your niche is not absolutely unique and hardly missing on today's online markets, then you will spend some time to reach some huge visitors amount. By that moment, you will surely collect more infos about your configuration and server load and then you could switch to a more powerful VPS or dedicated plan *if ever needed*.

Actually that's about the Philosophy of miniBB... you start from basic things, smaller things. Then if you grow, you move to more difficult things and add more features to your project, this also may affect the hosting plan.

In the ancient ages, we were keeping miniBB on a very basic shared hosting, but as soon the amount of visitors started to come up to 1,000 hosts per day, then we moved to another server. I guess on VPS the amount of hosts could be quite bigger (but still it has a border line which couldn't be crossed).

Author PravinD
Partaker
#6 | Posted: 6 Mar 2020 13:13 
Paul
What about the shared server? As newbie, is it possible on shared server as well?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#7 | Posted: 8 Mar 2020 13:19 
PravinD
Of course, it is possible. Shared hosting plan just should meet software requirements.

Author PravinD
Partaker
#8 | Posted: 10 Mar 2020 08:55 
Paul:
Of course, it is possible. Shared hosting plan just should meet software requirements.
Ok, Thanks

The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /
 Server load?
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Try the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑