| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /  

Login Via email

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »

Author lpetrov
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 1 Oct 2014 16:07 
Hello :)
Is it posible to login using email instead username?
And how that works.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 1 Oct 2014 16:34 
It would be possible, I've made a couple of customizations in the past regarding this method. You need to know miniBB well and possibly understand how it could be connected to a 3rd party database, if you are about 3rd party DB. Couple of miniBB core files like bb_func_login.php and bb_cookie.php should be adjusted to that.

However it doesn't mean users could register profiles without a username. Forums use a public name i.e. username to display in all threads and many other places. Displaying emails to public is unacceptable. So users should register/have a Username anyway. Further process makes logging via email not meaningful, because Username is involved anyway.

Author kuopassa
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 4 Oct 2014 20:35 
If an email address could be used when logging in, an automatically generated nickname could be the way to proceed. I mean that something like "AnonymousX" would be given to a new user (where the X is an incremental number). After logging in user could either choose to use the automatically generated nick or he could change it from Preferences page.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#4 | Posted: 6 Oct 2014 00:05 
This case would mean you'd need to have duplicated tables. One for the primary website, another one for the forum. May be for someone this would work; but if you'd ask me, if this truly would work me as the coder, I would answer NO, 'cause I'm too lazy to take care about two or more different tables.

That goes against terms of polite coding for any project.

Author tom322
#5 | Posted: 11 Oct 2018 04:05 
It would be interesting to know what to change exactly so that registered users could use their email to login, ie. they could login both via email and username.. How to do it is the question : )

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#6 | Posted: 11 Oct 2018 21:16 
Indeed it could be useful for generic version, so I've made some changes to bb_func_login.php and logging via email should now work also here on miniBB forums. It's tough to describe all changes; you can take a look at the newer version of bb_func_login.php, compare it with the older one and you'll see what has to be changed for this feature. I suppose I'll include it in the newer miniBB release later; by now please check if it will work on your side.

Author tom322
#7 | Posted: 11 Oct 2018 23:56 
Thanks, will check - I hope only bb_func_login.php needs to be changed, not bb_cookie.php too...

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#8 | Posted: 12 Oct 2018 01:19 
Yes, after taking a closer look, it appears that there are no changes in bb_cookie.php for this.

Author tom322
#9 | Posted: 12 Oct 2018 05:25 
I tested it and it seems to work well on my forum. But I also tested it here in miniBB - the issue is that when I enter my email, eg. my.email@example.com then this email becomes like: my.email@example.c<wbr>om

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#10 | Posted: 12 Oct 2018 09:03 
"it becomes" - when exactly or after what?

Author tom322
#11 | Posted: 12 Oct 2018 16:48 
When I try to login on the main page entering my email and password and submitting the form via the "Sign in" button (in Firefox at least).

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#12 | Posted: 12 Oct 2018 19:38 
tom322
Not sure I am getting it... So you enter a wrong email or a wrong password and get this on the error screen?. Or where? Could you upload a screenshot of the full screen you see this on?..

Author tom322
#13 | Posted: 12 Oct 2018 20:25 
I enter a correct email and correct password. But after submitting the form, the <wbr> is inserted within the email so that my email becomes like: my.email@example.c<wbr>om (so it seems the $POST action inserts this <wbr> and then obviously this email won't match my real email).

I tested it on the test using qwerty account and here it is what happens after I enter correct email and correct password and submit the form to login: https://screenshots.firefox.com/RtJQKOaE2pXgStET/minibb.org

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#14 | Posted: 12 Oct 2018 21:54 
I haven't installed it on minibb demo/test forum. It will work only here on this forum so far.

This all looks like you are entering a wrong password or not existing email on profile. With my account it all works of everything entered properly. But such email simply doesn't exist nor on the demo forum nor on this forum.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#15 | Posted: 12 Oct 2018 22:12 
For example, try to enter somelongemail@whichdoesntexist.com as login and the password "test" - this is not an existing account, and the script will just forward you to the first page, leaving username without password i.e. using a standard miniBB behaviour when it keeps a Guest name that way.

Probably this needs to be fixed, so if email is entered in a wrong way it is not kept at all, I'll work it out... But I suppose this is exactly your case, right?.. You enter a non-existing email and achieve this result.

Because if you enter an existing email BUT a wrong password, you should be forwarded to another page.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /
 Login Via email
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Install the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑