miniBB ® 

miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Custom Tutorials and Modifications miniBB Support Forums / Custom Tutorials and Modifications /  

Akismet for miniBB

Author kuopassa
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 29 Oct 2016 03:38 
This is something I coded yesterday mainly see how integrating a script like miniBB with Akismet would happen. :-)

This plugin will reduce the amount of spam users that register to your miniBB forum. It can delete spam accounts as they are created and attempt to block those IP addresses as well.

To use this plugin you need an API key from https://akismet.com/.

Install:

1) Download this file
2) Upload it to your miniBB's root directory
3) Add at the end of bb_plugins.php this code: require_once('bb_kuo_akismet.php');
4) Save Akismet key inside bb_kuo_akismet.php
5) Change also some other settings inside that file to your liking

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 29 Oct 2016 15:05 
Thanks for your efforts.

Wouldn't it be better to require this module only on certain operations? Not sure what it currently does, but possibly only for registrations and message posting. I don't see much sense to require it for each and every operation the forum program loads.

BTW I'm wondering how good their business is :) They charge $9 monthly for a Premium plan, at the time when miniBB's Captcha module comes for this price almost on the "install-forever" basis :)

Author tom322
#3 | Posted: 29 Oct 2016 17:27 
Plus not sure about privacy - they could 'steal' your users (their emails) and possibly other information. If they guarantee it works 100% then it may be worth it but you'd have to check and test, especially for false alarms..

Author kuopassa
Partaker
#4 | Posted: 29 Oct 2016 17:40 
Paul: Yes, you're quite right that the plugin is loaded each time, but Akismet is "summoned" only when someone is registering. I haven't yet added functionality to do spam check when a new topic / reply is submitted. :-)

I'm sure Akismet makes good money because it's going hand in hand with WordPress...

tom322, I was thinking about the same thing. So that Akismet could make an estimate if someone's a spammer, they need as much data as possible about the user. My plugin sends all this:

- URL of forum
- is plugin in test mode or not
- user IP if available
- user role (always "user")
- type of action (registration or forum post, currently just registration)
- timestamp
- referring URL if available
- username
- email address
- the Interests or Occupation field that can be filled when registering
- language used in forum (if forum has multiple languages, it sends the one user prefers)
- charset
- and a few other $_SERVER variables if they're available

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#5 | Posted: 29 Oct 2016 18:34 
kuopassa:
you're quite right that the plugin is loaded each time
Not good ;) Use conditions like:

if($action=='register' or $action=='registernew'){
require_once($pathToFiles.'bb_kuo_akismet.php');
}
to load it only for the registering process.

Well, I see it requires too much personal information. I'm wondering to which sites WordPress connects in general. I always thought that the best software should only work on its own. It's like a feeling this platform connects to 50% of worldwide Internet and spreads personal information over there.

Author kuopassa
Partaker
#6 | Posted: 29 Oct 2016 20:25 
Thanks Paul for the enhancement. :-] And yes, there's pros and cons with Akismet. The volume of data is so huge that it can make a good estimate who's a spammer. According to Akismet, it filters about 7.5 million spam comments per hour and it has 3 million users.

Author Batu
Partaker
#7 | Posted: 19 Jan 2017 14:34 
Hey guys! It is a very useful plugin. Does it work while guests posting?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#8 | Posted: 19 Jan 2017 17:26 
Batu:
Does it work while guests posting?
Not sure if this add-on is about posting at all.
It looks like being for preventing fake registrations and registered accounts.
But kuopassa knows it better for sure...

Author kuopassa
Partaker
#9 | Posted: 20 Jan 2017 00:44 
Paul is correct, this plugin doesn't currently check anything that guests are posting. It could be implemented to the code, but I don't yet have time for that. :-)

Custom Tutorials and Modifications miniBB Support Forums / Custom Tutorials and Modifications /
 Akismet for miniBB
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Try the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑