| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Master Class miniBB Support Forums / Master Class /  

diggin' posts =)

Author Samuel Vignoli
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 17 Sep 2007 19:41 

Author tom322
#2 | Posted: 17 Sep 2007 21:55 
Pretty neat :). Do you store all votes in a database - how do you "categorize" and use the votes?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#3 | Posted: 18 Sep 2007 01:20 
Is it about some kind of "rating" of posts?

Author Samuel Vignoli
Partaker
#4 | Posted: 18 Sep 2007 06:29 
Paul
yes =)

tom322
Do you store all votes in a database
yes.
- votos new table
- posts_votos mediumint(6) on table posts
- topic_votos mediumint(6) on table topics (just to sum the post's votes)

how do you "categorize" and use the votes?
Our first intention is just mark the good posts. Posts with negative votes will not display the number of votes.

5 positive votes + 3 negative votes = 2 points.

And will be possible to browse between the "good" posts. Something like

1 point >>
<< 55 points >>
<< 3 points

">>" and "<<" means anchor links.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#5 | Posted: 18 Sep 2007 07:33 
For me personally the usability versus the technical implementation is not worth. It would be good probably for the topics in whole, but for separate posts?.. What sense does it make?

It also reminds me the "karma" add-on, where you could vote for the post, but increasing / decreasing the amount of user's "virtual karma". There should be a lot of limits, for example, you can't give more karma as you have, and only for a limited number of people per 24 hours.

However I don't see the usability of such add-on as well.

Author tom322
#6 | Posted: 18 Sep 2007 11:19 
I think I would have to have a dedicated server to have it too ;). It may depend on the community - if it's mature enough, it would be useful. Most of them aren't mature enough though ;) so I agree with Paul. I think the implementation of the idea is nicely done.

Author Samuel Vignoli
Partaker
#7 | Posted: 19 Sep 2007 14:58 
It's not about rating users (at this time).

It's about rating good answers. It's a musicians forum and usually the answers aren't exact like in a forum abount computers, development, internet, etc. Also we have a lot of chat. With posts rating the readers can just surf between the good ones.

Our references were Digg.com and Yahoo Answers.

Author tom322
#8 | Posted: 19 Sep 2007 15:53 
I think it could make sense then - to weed out posts that are useless or off-topic. With the forum users help it could be successful.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#9 | Posted: 20 Sep 2007 02:58 
It's not about rating users (at this time).
For sure I understand it :-) I only described the similar algorithm which I implemented in the past.

I agree if your forums is more like a chat it would be useful. Specially if they have a lot of users and this rating could be more than true else false ;-) That was actually the digg.com's idea - a LOT of users. Where users are just few, such rating rather won't work.

Author 666
#10 | Posted: 21 Oct 2007 10:59 
where I can download it?

Author astass
Partaker
#11 | Posted: 21 Jun 2010 06:01 
Interesting idea. There is such a module?

Master Class miniBB Support Forums / Master Class /
 diggin' posts =)
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Proceed with the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑