miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Master Class miniBB Support Forums / Master Class /  

intergation with IndexU

Author Sunburnt
#1 | Posted: 28 Apr 2007 02:18 
Great info here. I'm thinking of integrating miniBB with IndexU 5.4 directory db. However, my IndexU db does not have an incremental integer userid field. It only has a username (char) as primary key which should be mapped to username for miniBB.

Read that someone here had successfully integrate with IndexU from nicecoder.com before. Anyone can share some insight or suggestions?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 30 Apr 2007 03:15 
Sunburnt

Unfortunatelly it will be very difficult to integrate miniBB with something that has no auto increment integer ID. Basically, you need to rewrite core a lot and secure it additionally to make it work. I never heard btw miniBB was intergrated with IndexU...

Author Sunburnt
#3 | Posted: 30 Apr 2007 06:13 
Well, someone did managed to integrate with IndexU successfully here:
http://www.fish4carp.co.uk/chat/
http://www.bigfreeguide.com/camping/chat/

Wonder how it's possibile without changing the core codes.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#4 | Posted: 30 Apr 2007 07:54 
Hmm, not saying the first site violates the copyright because copyright notice is removed w/o our permission, I could suppose they have made some adjustments to the default database or something like this, because as I see, user IDs are on their place... i.e. I am sure they use numerical IDs. Maybe your version of IndexU is a bit old? Without doubt, using numerical autoincremental ID is the base of any serious system...

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#5 | Posted: 30 Apr 2007 07:56 
Btw, what exactly is IndexU? Where it can be downloaded from?

Author Sunburnt
#6 | Posted: 30 Apr 2007 10:12 
It's a directory script. Here's where you can download a free trial copy of IndexU http://www.nicecoder.com

I'm using their latest v5.4 which does not have an autoincremental ID. Hmm... perhaps integration was made for IndexU to populate into miniBB user table instead?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#7 | Posted: 30 Apr 2007 10:48 
perhaps integration was made for IndexU to populate into miniBB user table instead

that is possible... it is also possible that these sites are not integrated at all ;-) I have not tested with different logins. Maybe they are also duplicating userinfo in both tables and synchronizing it on some updates.

I've downloaded free version of IndexU and could confirm there is no autoincrement field. So it would be very difficult to integrate miniBB the way we propose.

Author Sunburnt
#8 | Posted: 30 Apr 2007 12:23 
I think the person who made the integration did post here before, see https://www.minibb.com/forums/5_2138_1.html#msg24926 post by mattegg.

So it seems that he's not maintaining 2 separate dbs and minibb shares the user db with IndexU. Interesting how this can be done. Modifying IndexU db to have user_id as incremental key would changed it's primary key to be user_id instead of username. That will break IndexU script as username has to be unique.

I'm thinking whether adding an additional non-incremental user_id field and manually assign an incremental value to tag each user. Can this possibly workaround the primary key constraint of the db and still get minibb to work?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#9 | Posted: 1 May 2007 03:33 
Hmm, yes it seems so :-) But this guy already wrote he could integrate miniBB for you just for $40. Our services are a bit more expensive.

I think adding a primary key is a must. So you keep two unique keys - for ID and username, I think IndexU should not have conflicts with it. All registrations and profile editing also should be done only from IndexU page.

Author mattegg
#10 | Posted: 12 Oct 2007 09:08 
hi, im the person that integrated it, just looking on the forums as i was about to do it again and found this post. I just added a user_id and set as auto increment as indexU does not have a key field on this table.

Master Class miniBB Support Forums / Master Class /
 intergation with IndexU
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Try the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑