miniBB ® 

miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
FAQ miniBB Support Forums / FAQ /  

Foreign language symbols available in username / password ( $userRegName setting and variations)

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next »

Author gizmo
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 18 May 2002 20:47 
Hello MiniBB,

Great job on the product.

I am wondering though, I have tried to test this program in a Japanese environment, but can not seem to make the login(username) accept a name in Japanese.

Which areas do we need to touch and edit in order to make the program accept any form of symbols as part of the username? of course, excluding the | symbol.

Author Team
8-)
#2 | Posted: 20 May 2002 04:03 
In order to make japanese language to be detected automatically by browser you have to edit $l_meta setting in your language file. But that's not the point.

Our board supports any languages supported by PHP, mySQL & PostgreSQL accordingly. So.. maybe the problem is with your local mySQL server or PHP language settings?

Author Team
8-)
#3 | Posted: 20 May 2002 04:10 
or maybe MD5 crypting algorithm ( http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1321.html ) doesn't accept japanese symbols.

Author gizmo
Partaker
#4 | Posted: 20 May 2002 06:33 
I dont think you understood the question.

can not seem to make the login(username) accept a name in Japanese.

I see that usernames must be A-Za-z_.

Are you starting to get my drift?

Author Team
8-)
#5 | Posted: 20 May 2002 09:57 
gizmo
I guess, first you need to include correct default encoding meta-setting, and second, you need to patch setup_options and insert all necessary symbols in $userRegName variable (it is regular expression).

Author gizmo
Partaker
#6 | Posted: 20 May 2002 11:14 
encoding is done, as that was not my question on the board. but thanks for the check point. it was one of the first steps completed.

now, as i would like to know, is there anyways that i can allow all characters and symbols, as there are over 50,000 characters in the japanese language, and it would be almost impossible to list each and everyone.

thanks.

Author Team
8-)
#7 | Posted: 20 May 2002 11:41 
gizmo
is there anyways that i can allow all characters and symbols
Try to go to the bb_functions.php, find function checkUserData(), and change this line:

$userRegExp = "^[".$userRegName."]{3,40}\$";

to:

$userRegExp = "^[^|]{3,40}\$";

for allowing all symbols except |. Hope this helps.

Author gizmo
Partaker
#8 | Posted: 20 May 2002 12:05 
it worked!

thanks a mil.

will keep you posted on the workings.

ciao~za...:)

Author Anonymous
#9 | Posted: 28 Jan 2003 00:30 
How do you change this expression to include other symbols such as "." or "-"? Or, alternatively, where can I find an online documentation to look up myself? I searched in the MySQL and PHP manuals, but the regular expression there looked different somehow. I'm not sure if this was the right place to look.

Author Team
8-)
#10 | Posted: 28 Jan 2003 10:32 
$userRegName='_-A-Za-z0-9. ';

Author Anonymous
#11 | Posted: 28 Jan 2003 12:48 
Thank you! Does it have to be in a particular order? Is $userRegName='_-A-Za-z0-9. '; the same as $userRegName='_A-Za-z0-9._ '; ?

Author Team
8-)
#12 | Posted: 28 Jan 2003 13:05 
There is no matter in order, but you better learn regular expressions as themselves :) [it is not described nor in PHP, nor in mySQL manual, this thing is completely different].

Author Anonymous
#13 | Posted: 28 Jan 2003 13:28 
I changed the variable $userRegName like you suggested, but keep getting the following error message Warning: Compilation failed: range out of order in character class at offset 4 in d:\_PHP\phpWeb\keele\minibb\bb_func_checkusr.php on line 7
Apparently changing the variable in the setup_options.php is not enough.

Author Team
8-)
#14 | Posted: 28 Jan 2003 13:42 
I have just tried to set up the following:

$userRegName='_A-Za-z0-9-. ';

and everything is working fine, I can register username with dot and dash.

I am saying once again: learn regular expressions. It's not a simple thing. If you are not sure, what you doing - don't do it.

Author Anonymous
#15 | Posted: 28 Jan 2003 13:51 
I will. But how can it be that i get an error message? Did you (like me) only change the variable in the setup_options.php? i.e. replaced '_A-Za-z0-9 ' by '_A-Za-z0-9-. '?

Did you change something in the bb_func_checkusr.php? I kind of think that it must be changed too ...

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 
FAQ miniBB Support Forums / FAQ /
 Foreign language symbols available in username / password ( $userRegName setting and variations)
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Check out the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑