miniBB ® 

miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Suggestions miniBB Support Forums / Suggestions /  

Encrypted private message contents (server side)

Author LongShot54
#1 | Posted: 18 Nov 2020 04:14 
I know this is possibly a long-shot but I would like to not be able to see my own user's private messages in the database. Would it be possible to store their contents in an encrypted manner so that only the recipient would be able to read them?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 19 Nov 2020 17:56 
LongShot54:
Would it be possible to store their contents in an encrypted manner so that only the recipient would be able to read them?
I suppose that's quite possible, but not in the current default version of this add-on.

I'll take your suggestion into attention when taking my hands on it, as I have a couple of requests on more features to add, and adding an option to disable the "Sent" folder at a server-side settings or per-user level is not that difficult to implement (and it could be useful in terms of keeping server resources).

But as about adding an encryption to such messages... I'm not sure what is needed for? Even if we encode and then decode the message (and it must be encoded so the recipient could read it), all mechanisms are stored on the same local server and are possible to break-out if the server files are stolen. It's not like about Telegram or Whatsapp messaging when there are different security keys for each client and which that's why are hard-to-break.

Suggestions miniBB Support Forums / Suggestions /
 Encrypted private message contents (server side)
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Get the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑