miniBB ® 

miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /  

What is user fields are encrypted? how to show user info?

Author fa3d
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 7 Aug 2013 21:16 
I have user data encrypted in the database (users register not through the forum but from other system).
The forum shows user info like this:
E-mail: 143ca26cab8e574da4b86fd16a3eb794 (encrypted value)

Also in other parts of the forum:
This forum is administered by: 143cb26cab8e574da4b86fd16a3eb794 (encrypted value)

Where should I put the code to unencrypt those values? (all user fields are encrypted). Any ideas?

Author tom322
#2 | Posted: 7 Aug 2013 23:49 
Probably the best solution is not to encrypt them in the first place - encrypted messages are not possible to decrypt by script.

Author fa3d
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 8 Aug 2013 03:04 
No, that is a lame answer. I need to have those fields encrypted so your solution is not valid. I can decrypt the fields with a function I already have (I just need to know in what part of the minibb script I need to use that function).

Somewhere in minibb script the database is called and all user fields are stored in a global array (I believe). Maybe someone with more experience in Minibb can point me to the file where the script does this.

Author tom322
#4 | Posted: 8 Aug 2013 05:16 
You probably count on Paul spending his free time to answer custom lame questions, good luck ; ).

Author fa3d
Partaker
#5 | Posted: 8 Aug 2013 17:03 
Someone who knows minibb well enough can answer my question in 5 seconds. I don't need a custom solution just someone who can point me in the right direction.

For me, answering a question with a solution like yours ("the solution is not to have the problem in the first place") is a waste of time from your part (or for any other member that may have a similar problem). Don't get offended.

Maybe having an encrypted value is very specific for my needs, but I dont want to talk about encryption, the issue here is how to manipulate a user field value. For me, its encryption, for someone else could be showing user name in capital letters, etc...

Author tom322
#6 | Posted: 8 Aug 2013 19:05 
fa3d:
For me, answering a question with a solution like yours ("the solution is not to have the problem in the first place") is a waste of time from your part (or for any other member that may have a similar problem). Don't get offended.
You wanted 'ideas' to your problem. I gave you an idea that could solve the problem.

If you study Paul's replies, many of them point to the fact that something is not needed to be done in the first place. It usually opens eyes of smart users who prefer not to reinvent the wheel. But obviously you think you are too smart to study replies of smarter than you. If it works for you, be it ; ).

Author fa3d
Partaker
#7 | Posted: 8 Aug 2013 19:27 
1) I dont know who Paul is.

2) I wanted solutions to my problems or ideas to help SOLVE the problem not "any idea". You are free to answer but I am free to give an opinion to your answer.

3) I just found the answer to my problem:

Create a function "parseUserInfo_username", "parseUserInfo_user_email", etc... minibb script will automatically detect those functions and parse the user fields. In my case I need to unencrypt the field in that function.
More info in the file: bb_func_usernfo.php.

Author tom322
#8 | Posted: 8 Aug 2013 20:40 
So my idea and replies prompted you to work harder yourself on solving the problem (you probably realized your attitude would result in ignoring your questions by other members anyway). But it's good you posted the solution that other members may find useful. You're welcome :).

Author fa3d
Partaker
#9 | Posted: 9 Aug 2013 02:23 
You need to understand that if the data is encrypted in the database is because it needs to be that way. Having the data unencrypted is not a solution not because its hard (actually it is very easy) but because it is a requirement to have it like that. I am sorry if my reply offended you but your solution looked to me like this:

-"I have a cold, what can I do about it"
-"the solution is not to have the cold in the first place"

Anyway, I appreciate your input and time of answering. My intention was not to offend you. Just to tell you that your answer was not useful.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#10 | Posted: 9 Aug 2013 11:57 
Greetings from the miniBB author.

fa3d:
Where should I put the code to unencrypt those values? (all user fields are encrypted). Any ideas?
It's a question not related to miniBB software, in general. How could we know what happens in your database?
If you have no documentation for your website, you'd need to hire a clairvoyant. Before synchronizing miniBB, you should fully understand/know at first, how your website works, not miniBB.

As about synchronizing miniBB, you could check this solution first; specially, pay attention at the section claiming required fields for miniBB. And when adjusting the login routine, mostly you should take a look in bb_cookie.php and bb_func_login.php. You need to make these scripts to set the cookie which look exactly the same like the cookie from your root website. All in all, if you will go the solution step by step, you will most likely find a solution for your own forum.

Seeing the data you have, it has 32 chars in length and looks very similar to MD5 hash, which can't be (easily) decoded. So I'm not sure what kind of decoding function do you have. Most likely you should compare these values by the incoming input, which should be also encoded on the fly.

Also, it seems your website is using email address as login. This is invalid approach for minBB. MiniBB forum members should have a common username, which is shown to all guests and other members as the author of the post. You must agree you can't use email address visible to all, so you should extend your website to have a static username, which then could be plugged in miniBB.

Let me know if this helped or if you will need other kind of help.

Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /
 What is user fields are encrypted? how to show user info?
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Install the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑