®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Bugs miniBB Support Forums / Bugs /  

Some mails not arriving

Author WernerO
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 9 Jun 2003 15:36 
I'm having trouble with the sending of e-mails containing passwords and also e-mail notifications: they sometimes arrive with some providers, but mostly they don't.

This appears to be the same issue that is reported on http://www.php.net/man ual/en/ref.mail.php

First of all, I'm wondering in which minibb-file I should try adding some parameters .. and how (I'm not very technical)

Secondly, when I registered on this forum, your e-mail with the password arrived immediately. When I verified the headers of the e-mail, I noticed that they are being checked by SpamAssassin. Is this being done on your side or by my e-mail provider? I assume it is the reason why your e-mail has been accepted by my e-mail provider (which is external from my hosting provider). Now if I could just find a way to do that too...

Anybody else having these problems? Thx for any insights...

Author Team
8-)
#2 | Posted: 9 Jun 2003 15:49 
miniBB is using mail() function to send emails. It has to be configured on server side (usually, via sendmail directive in PHP settings). If sendmail in PHP does not work, you don't need to edit any miniBB file since it will not help you. Ask provider.

When I verified the headers of the e-mail, I noticed that they are being checked by SpamAssassin. Is this being done on your side or by my e-mail provider?

I guess, it's done either by our server provider or your SMTP account provider (second variant closer).

Author WernerO
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 9 Jun 2003 21:09 
Thx for your speedy reply!

Mail is working, below are the headers of a message that got through to a Hotmail address. But there are e-mail delivery problems for most other providers. This seems to be a well known issue.

According to PHP.net it's possible to force other info into the headers but I don't know in which minibb file I should try doing this and how (don't know any PHP).

Or am I still missing something? I really hope to get this thing solved, because I'm looking forward to finally getting a decent forum running after having tried wwwboard and UB. So thanks anyway :-)

X-Message-Info: JGTYoYF78jEHjJx36Oi8+Q1OJDRSDidP
Received: from mirage-isp.mirage-isp.com ([207.44.196.57]) by mc7-f16.law1.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.5600);
Sun, 8 Jun 2003 15:02:35 -0700
Received: (qmail 8233 invoked by uid 48); 9 Jun 2003 00:33:03 -0000
Date: 9 Jun 2003 00:33:03 -0000
Message-ID: <20030609003303.8232.qmail@mirage-isp.mirage-isp.com>
To: [deleted]
Subject: Discussieforum Cahier de Brouillon: Your registration username and password
Reply-To: webmaster@cahier.be
Errors-To: webmaster@cahier.be
X-Mailer: PHP ver. 4.3.1
Return-Path: anonymous@mirage-isp.mirage-isp.com
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 08 Jun 2003 22:02:35.0473 (UTC) FILETIME=[AAFBFC10:01C32E09]

Author Team
8-)
#4 | Posted: 10 Jun 2003 11:13 
WernerO
In any case, sendmail configuration does not depend on miniBB (and vice versa), and you need to solve problem individually on individual server (personally I don't know what the reason can be). In miniBB, you can add/edit all email headers in function sendMail which is stored in bb_functions.php

Author fubar
Partaker
#5 | Posted: 25 Oct 2003 21:44 
I know that this is an old thread, but I just came upon it...

> In miniBB, you can add/edit all email headers in function sendMail which is stored in bb_functions.php
Yes, this is where the solution lies. I resolved a similar mail() problem (not with miniBB) by adding additional headers that some spam filters are apparently looking for. In bb_functions.php search for the line that begins:
$from_email =

Immediately after the ending semi-colon(;), add the following, each on a new line:
$from_email .= "MIME-Version: 1.0\n";
$from_email .= "Content-Type: text/plain;\n\tcharset=\"iso-8859-1\"\n";

My forums are on a linux server, and mail would not work with the \r\n line endings, thus the reason I show only the \n (newline) character. Since you said yours works "sometimes," you may need to substitute \r\n every place I show \n (above).

The above code concatenates the MIME-Version and Content-Type headers to what miniBB was already sending. If you are using a different character set (codepage), substitute it for iso-8859-1 (which should be okay for English and most western EU languages). Note that RFC 2045 requires "MIME-Version" header, and states that the absence of "charset" causes it to default to US-ASCII. The following links may be useful to your understanding:
RFC 2045 - MIME Format
RFC 2046 - MIME Media Types
ISO 8859-x Character Sets

HTH!

Bugs miniBB Support Forums / Bugs /
 Some mails not arriving
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Check out the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑