®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /  

Why forum id in url

Author Rider
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 22 Sep 2018 11:55 
Just wondering: why is the forum id part of the url to open an existing topic?
I mean like when - on the main page with the topic listing - you click on a link to open an existing topic "&forum=6" is part of the url. But even when you change 6 into 7 or another number, the topic will still open, because the topic has its own id I suppose. The forum id seems to me like an unnecessary attribute in the url.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 24 Sep 2018 13:13 
For me it's hard to remember why it has been coded that way initially and working since ancient times :) I see now there are perhaps 2 points on keeping the forum ID in the URL:

1) It allows to make well-structured forums hierarchy specially when it's generated using .htaccess (like here on our forums, you may notice that each topic is held like under its own sub-folder of the forum) - more related keywords in the URL could make the topic's URL more appealing to a search engine.

2) When topic is moved to another forum, it's URL changes and it's a signal to the search engines that something has been changed to the topic (when it's moved to another forum, this also affects the indexed content of a forum in whole). If there would be just a topic ID supplied in the URL, there would be not possible to catch the point if a topic has been moved or not.

I understand that the topic also could run without forum ID as its effect on even the 2 points above is not that powerful. But I doubt that I'd change this approach now. It affects nothing in the same manner as it would affect something important.

Author Rider
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 10 Oct 2018 12:26 
Ok, that makes it clear to me. I now understand why this is. Thank you.

The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /
 Why forum id in url
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Install the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑