Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /  

I cannot seem to install miniBB

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »

Author RLS
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 1 Jan 2015 05:48 
This site keeps thinking I'm adding links despite my changing the letters to XXX.

Newbie webmaster here and I cannot seem to install minibb. Maybe it's because I'm using the manual and not the readme. I'm supposed to be at the point where I enter the install.php and take the next step but when I do all I get is a blank page on Google Chrome. At least I don't get an error message but that's probably thanks to using Chrome.

The most confusing part at first was by default I got $DB='mysqli' so I have no idea if I need to delete the "i" and I have done so without any change in progress. The rest goes as follows with the usual redaction. I changed the table names at first but then changed them back. From reading these posts I guess I wasn't supposed to because I used the compiler? Being that I copied the minibb files into a folder titled minibb within the forum folder I tried locating install.php there through my browser without any luck. localhost didn't help either.

$DBhost='xxx';
$DBname='XXXXXX_RLS_Forum';
$DBusr='XXXXXXX';

$DBpwd='XXXXXXXXXXXX';

$Tf='minibbtable69_forums';
$Tp='minibbtable69_posts';
$Tt='minibbtable69_topics';
$Tu='minibbtable69_users';
$Ts='minibbtable69_send_mails';
$Tb='minibbtable69_banned'

$admin_usr='XXXXX';
$admin_pwd='XXXXXXXXXXXXX';
$admin_email='XXXX';

$bb_admin='bb_admin4472.php?' left this as it was but I may need to change it and the tables?

$indexphp='index.php?';

$cookiedomain='';
$cookiename='forums69799';
$cookiepath='';
$cookiesecure=FALSE;
$cookie_expires=108000;
$cookie_renew=1800;
$cookielang_exp=2592000;

$main_url='XXXXXX'

The rest of course has not been changed.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 1 Jan 2015 21:34 
RLS:
At least I don't get an error message but that's probably thanks to using Chrome.
There are other browsers on the planet. At first, you may try another one, like Mozilla or Opera. They are more greater in debugging.

mysql or mysqli - it depends on your hosting plan, and how PHP could be connected to mySQL, and what version of PHP is there on.

I hope you know that mySQL database should be installed and available at first. miniBB is not Windows or standalone app.

Author RLS
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 1 Jan 2015 22:28 
I've actually tried to follow the instructions so I do have a mySQL database but I'm not the one who added the "i". Yeah I know there exists other browsers but I didn't read that Chrome is incompatible with installation or otherwise I would have not used what I always use. All I've done is try to follow the manual and yet I can't see where the problem is.

Author RLS
Partaker
#4 | Posted: 1 Jan 2015 22:41 
Just tried Firefox and all it tells me is that it cannot find the directory. I was curious if having the minibb files in a folder named minibb within a folder that says forum has something to do with it but I've tried typing in the extra folder names in the browser without any luck.

Author RLS
Partaker
#5 | Posted: 1 Jan 2015 23:05 
Now I've gone as far as deleting the folders which still exist but at least are now empty and then dumped the files in again minus the folders. Now when I try locating the install.php instead of getting a 404 error with at least suggestions and a lawyer lady holding some files I get the generic mostly blank one. Somehow there had been a second minibb folder inside the previous so I had been editing the wrong setup.php last night. For a moment I thought it somehow reverted back to the original state. Still every version say mySQLI. I didn't add the "i".

Author kuopassa
Partaker
#6 | Posted: 2 Jan 2015 01:22 
If you're still trying to install the forum script, you should find a file called _install.php and not install.php, I think.

Author RLS
Partaker
#7 | Posted: 2 Jan 2015 01:24 
of course. I thought you'd figure what I meant

Author kuopassa
Partaker
#8 | Posted: 2 Jan 2015 01:35 
Do you have a file called .htaccess in your forum folder? If so, you could delete it and see if it helps, but remember to keep a copy of that in your computer or somewhere. If deleting .htaccess helps, the problem is clearly because of some setting inside it.

Author RLS
Partaker
#9 | Posted: 2 Jan 2015 01:48 
I think I'm just going to find a host that has forum building software already built in or easily added. I cannot even install WordPress it seems. It's just too bad webdotcom is closed today. Dang why does this place have such a problem with me trying to name sites?

Author RLS
Partaker
#10 | Posted: 2 Jan 2015 02:57 
Yay, now I can get it to tell me I have a database configuration problem. Progress baby! After finally getting through to webdotcom's tech support I was finally told that everything has to be within the html folder. Maybe I'm finally minutes away from figuring this out.

Author RLS
Partaker
#11 | Posted: 2 Jan 2015 03:13 
Success! So, um when reading the manual and it tells you to create whatever folder wherever you want that's not completely true. Now if only I can figure out why the layout seems to abstract. Maybe I'm just too used to [another software] and their folders.

Author kuopassa
Partaker
#12 | Posted: 2 Jan 2015 03:20 
I hope you get that project done. :-) miniBB differs from many other forum scripts in that many things are done by editing PHP files like setup_options.php and bb_plugins.php.

Author RLS
Partaker
#13 | Posted: 3 Jan 2015 11:07 
Crap I can't seem to explain what I want without this forum thinking I'm writing some sort of link so I'll just say I'm done but I'm not using miniBB. I spent an hour typing something I couldn't post.

Author kuopassa
Partaker
#14 | Posted: 3 Jan 2015 22:01 
Yup, I understand. Difficulties like that shouldn't occur. I'd say it's one of the most important things in a discussion forum software to be able to make new posts. :-D

Author Rider
Partaker
#15 | Posted: 4 Jan 2015 11:49 
This forum has an anti-spam feature, which prevents new users from posting working url's in their first number of posts. The number is a variable which can be set by the admin user. Maybe that's the answer to your latest question.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /
 I cannot seem to install miniBB
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Get the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑