®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Re-cycled miniBB Support Forums / Re-cycled /  

Blocking registration emails filtered by domain

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »

Author Anonymous
#1 | Posted: 17 Jan 2007 04:44 
Is it possible to block users registration based on e-mail.

I want to block mails with the extension @mail.ru

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 17 Jan 2007 06:38 
NOTE: The thread is being continued in the updated topic. Check it out first for the ready solution, skipping the process of discussion.

I think you may look up in bb_func_checkusr.php file and edit the line which lists:

elseif(!eregi("^[0-9a-z]+([._-][0-9a-z_]+)*_?@[0-9a-z]+([._-][0-9a-z]+ )*[.][0-9a-z]{2}[0-9A-Z]?[0-9A-Z]?$", ${$dbUserSheme['user_email'][1]})) $correct=4;

so it would list something like...

elseif(!eregi("^[0-9a-z]+([._-][0-9a-z_]+)*_?@[0-9a-z]+([._-][0-9a-z]+ )*[.][0-9a-z]{2}[0-9A-Z]?[0-9A-Z]?$", ${$dbUserSheme['user_email'][1]}) OR substr_count(strtolower(${$dbUserSheme['user_email'][1]
}), 'mail.ru')>0
) $correct=4;

Have not tested it but it should work...

Author Anonymous
#3 | Posted: 17 Jan 2007 07:39 
Thanks, it works fine.

Author Anonymous
#4 | Posted: 22 Jan 2007 09:46 
Sorry, but I have to try again. This time I need help to block everybody on there e-mail, unless they come form my own country. I tried by my self, but it didn't work out.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#5 | Posted: 22 Jan 2007 12:33 
What is meant by "my own counry"? What domain zone is it like?..

Author Anonymous
#6 | Posted: 23 Jan 2007 09:26 
Visitors can only be register when they have an e-mail address ending on .dk

Like hans@jubii.dk

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#7 | Posted: 23 Jan 2007 09:31 
OR substr_count(strtolower(${$dbUserSheme['user_email'][1]
}), '.dk')==0

is it really so difficult to imagine?.. ;-)

Author Anonymous
#8 | Posted: 1 Jul 2007 18:42 
What if you have more than one domain you want to list? How would you write that?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#9 | Posted: 2 Jul 2007 08:05 
You need to specify array list of all forbidden domains... for example, in bb_specials.php like

$forbidden_domains=array(
'.dk',
'.mail.ru',
'.gmail.com'
);
then the condition will be

then in bb_func_checkusr.php right before the starting if (!preg_match paste:

$disallowedDomain=FALSE;
foreach($forbidden_domains as $f) {
if (substr_count(strtolower(${$dbUserSheme['user_email'][1]}), $f)>0) {
$disallowedDomain=TRUE;
break;
}
}
then instead of the condition supplied above it should be

OR $disallowedDomain

i.e.

elseif(!eregi("^[0-9a-z]+([._-][0-9a-z_]+)*_?@[0-9a-z]+([._-][0-9a-z]+ )*[.][0-9a-z]{2}[0-9A-Z]?[0-9A-Z]?$", ${$dbUserSheme['user_email'][1]}) OR $disallowedDomain ) $correct=4;

Author iBall
Partaker
#10 | Posted: 25 Mar 2008 13:11 
hi,

anyone know how to modify software's core file, so that only certain emails are allowed for the registration. eg: xxx@ggmm.edu.com, xxx@ppkk.com

thanks in advance

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#11 | Posted: 25 Mar 2008 14:19 
Try to apply the solution above, but only change the final condition. From

OR $disallowedDomain
to
OR !$disallowedDomain
And so in $forbidden_domains you need to specify the list of the allowed domains.

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#12 | Posted: 9 Oct 2013 13:56 
Hi Paul,
If I follow this thread correctly, your "block email addresses from certain domains" here is core destructive. If so, is there an alternative, non core-destructive way to block multiple domains (e.g., 126.com, tom.com)? Or is there a totally different approach I should consider?
With thanks,
marsbar

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#13 | Posted: 9 Oct 2013 14:46 
I think there could be some way to create also a non-core-destructive solution... may be it could be even aligned with the forbidden phrases from the Anti-guest add-on which now I'm considering as the best tool against spam. But I can't provide this even this week - now I'm away from my working station and until the end of the week, unfortunately, I will not have time to check it out. May be the next week will bring more time, I'll keep your suggestion on hold, it needs to be thought out carefully before we do something...

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#14 | Posted: 15 Oct 2013 05:48 
Paul:
I think there could be some way to create also a non-core-destructive solution... may be it could be even aligned with the forbidden phrases from the Anti-guest add-on which now I'm considering as the best tool against spam. But I can't provide this even this week
I am all for non-core-destructive solutions! Thank you for considering my thoughts on this matter; and I shall look forward to being pleasantly surprised by the ultimate anti-spam solution you may develop later on. All the best.

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#15 | Posted: 12 Jan 2014 08:11 
Happy New Year to Paul and my fellow miniBBers.

For several months now, my miniBB has been bombarded with spam registrations from gmail.com, 163.com and tom.com addresses. A lot of the email addresses appear to be variations of the same base address; for example:
a.b.ck.e.yb.oy@gmail.com
ab.ck.e.y.bo.y@gmail.com
abc.k.e.yboy@gmail.com
The user names typically appear to be a random combination of letters and numbers; e.g., nS1lO0uB6z.

So far most of these spam users have been quiet (they do not post messages). I have been deleting the registations by hand, as I am not keen to see them fill up the database, clogging up the works.

Does any one else experience the same problem? Can anyone recommend any countermeasures?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
Re-cycled miniBB Support Forums / Re-cycled /
 Blocking registration emails filtered by domain
 Share Topic's Link

This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Get the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑