Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
How To miniBB Support Forums / How To /  

How to choose the thin slim basic skin template

Author Guest
~
#1 | Posted: 13 Aug 2008 18:17 
Hello,

I really don't like the new design of the minibb and I'd like to change it to the classic thin design. The homepage states: "...Apply the 'thin' version as presented on our demo forums...". How the heck do I do it? I tried searching the forum, but couldn't find the answer... Maybe I'm stupid, maybe I'm missing it, but I really couldn't find how to switch to the classic thin design of minibb.

Thank you,
hrd

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 14 Aug 2008 03:38 
From the demo forums you just need to take older forums style CSS (right mouse click on the link - Save Target as..., it's called by us the "Integrity skin"), copy it to your miniBB folder, apply it modifying $skin='old' under setup_options.php, and under the same file set $startPageModern=FALSE;

You will need to modify CSS to make colors matching your website.

Then download "classic" forums header file in the old mini style and replace it to the current one (located under templates/main_header.html folder). Of course, later you will need to adjust it a bit to your own forums, maybe putting forums logo, modifying other HTML parts etc. It's your own task.

This will fully revert you to the older layout.

Good luck!

Author jt411
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 3 Dec 2013 16:45 
It still doesn't look like the demo... Tables on my forum use a transparent type css while the demo forum has a light blue background with the table outline. Additionally, the topics are not aligned like the demo. I have spent so much time on this with no luck. I wouldn't have even downloaded the forum if it was for the basic skin and now I can't seem to get it to work. Wasted so much time on this...

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#4 | Posted: 3 Dec 2013 17:04 
If you would give your questions in a proper manner, probably we could help you with more efficiency. But so far I only understood that you have some problem, still nobody has an idea what it is about. You provide no URLs, no screenshots, no detailed descriptions... So?..

Author jt411
Partaker
#5 | Posted: 4 Dec 2013 04:24 
I have attached two images for comparison. Hope this helps to make my point...

Demo with basic Skin:
Demo Forum with Basic skin

My Forum with basic skin:
My Forum with Basic skin

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#6 | Posted: 4 Dec 2013 05:25 
Ok, I think you may try to just download the skins this Demo has under (Right Click - Save As - Replace to your copy of files):

main_forums.html
main_forums_cell.html
main_last_discussions.html
main_last_discuss_cell.html
main_topics.html
main_topics_cell.html

In the similar manner you may download possibly other templates you would like to transform. Some of the {$tags} present in these templates will not work for your basic forum until some of the Paid add-ons are purchased; but they should show up correctly.

Let us know if you will have more questions on this topic.

As about the background, you should apply the basic CSS skin and change main_header like it's described above. Don't forget to change the $skin param in setup_options.php to 'old'. Make sure this skin is loaded, checking the source of your forums HTML.

Author jt411
Partaker
#7 | Posted: 4 Dec 2013 06:08 
I replaced the files with the ones above. Replaced the Header file and use the basic CSS. Changed the "setup_options.php" accordingly but still doesn't work(I looks like my forum example pic above.). Any other ideas? I can also just use the default skin but my attempts to change it to the blue color scheme seems to fail.

Author jt411
Partaker
#8 | Posted: 4 Dec 2013 09:36 
I got it to work. Thanks! The pages above were save as .htm once changed to .html it worked.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#9 | Posted: 5 Dec 2013 18:16 
jt411:
The pages above were save as .htm once changed to .html it worked.
Not sure why it is so; may be your browser's issue... all templates should have .html extension like they are supplied in the original package.

Glad it works for you now!

Author Jaime
Partaker
#10 | Posted: 5 Dec 2013 20:11 
Paul:
Not sure why it is so; may be your browser's issue...
With my FF the files were save as .html, no problem. With the IE, i dont like it, the files were save as .htm - So it is probably on the browser, not on your files.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#11 | Posted: 5 Dec 2013 20:48 
Hah! You are right.

I've tried IE 8 on my end and it seems even if I choose right click -> Save Target As... -- IE suggests me to save the file with .htm extension at the time it is absolute .html! Firefox, Opera, Safari and even Google Chrome - all will download .html except IE 8. Not sure about IE 9 either.

IE 8 sucks!

How To miniBB Support Forums / How To /
 How to choose the thin slim basic skin template
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Install the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑