Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Suggestions miniBB Support Forums / Suggestions /  

Alternative symbols in passwords

Author Prince
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 10 May 2013 13:51 
I have a suggestion for passwords!

If there would be a way that user could choose a mix of uppercase and lowercase and letters and also numbers + symbols. that would be more strong password.

For changing password in profile section would be an extra option for entering Current password then user be able to change the password after entering current password.

Regards,
Prince

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 10 May 2013 15:07 
Thanks for your suggestions.

Prince:
For changing password in profile section would be an extra option for entering Current password then user be able to change the password after entering current password.
I am still considering it a spare option. User can't edit the Profile and so can't edit the Password if s/he's not logged in. But if s/he is logged in, it already means s/he knows the password.

I know there could be a case, when the cookie is being stolen, and somebody could be "logged in" even without knowing the old password; or opening the session on the public computer which was left. Then someone may change the password, and the user gets confused. But if such thing happens, that's a question of a private habit. Just do not leave opened sessions on the public computers :) do not create too simple passwords. That's not truly about the software's security.

If we would need to introduce such thing in miniBB, then it leads to even more complicated registration/profile form. But this is a simple software. Most probably, such option then would need a special section, where only the password may be changed, but then it's not becoming simple to the end user.

Why did you have such a suggestion? Was there a serious case about it on your forum?

Prince:
If there would be a way that user could choose a mix of uppercase and lowercase and letters and also numbers + symbols. that would be more strong password.
What kind of symbols are being meant?

Here I have quite an old message about this subject, but which still takes place.

Author Prince
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 12 May 2013 17:32 
Paul:
I am still considering it a spare option. User can't edit the Profile and so can't edit the Password if s/he's not logged in. But if s/he is logged in, it already means s/he knows the password.
Yeah, I just saw it almost in all sites that have this option and thought might be good for minibb! :)

Paul:
Why did you have such a suggestion? Was there a serious case about it on your forum?
No, not at all. everything is fine just was a suggestion.

Paul:
What kind of symbols are being meant?
For this I meant something like this:

F.e. if username is user and password would be like this: P@s$word I meant like this.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#4 | Posted: 16 May 2013 11:38 
Prince:
F.e. if username is user and password would be like this: P@s$word I meant like this.
Ok, I may consider to put some of such symbols in the official version, thanks.
But so far, you may use the solution I provided earlier.

Suggestions miniBB Support Forums / Suggestions /
 Alternative symbols in passwords
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Get the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑