Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
News miniBB Support Forums / News /  

miniBB 3.0 is pre-released

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#1 | Posted: 20 Dec 2011 17:13 
As a little winter gift, here comes the first official release of miniBB 3, available for free download.

What's new?

The major additions to this release include the direct unsubscribing link in topic subscription emails (miniBB, again, tries to meet even more mailing requirements compatibility with that), improvements regarding standard-compatible email headers in all emails, updates regarding the version-for-mobile pack, super-sticky topics, whole forum navigation by pages, and other few bugfixes, improvements and updates. There is also a little Search modernization: search box will be a standalone template, available by default in the "Modern" layout's first page, on the internal forum navigation pages, under any forum and under any topic. To the search options we have now, it will be also possible to search in messages of a certain topic. As you may see, in this version miniBB comes in a surprisingly new look. It doesn't affect the upgrade of your own customized forum, but it's still making the step to get even better!

The current forum owners, as usually, must follow Upgrading history instructions. Looking up closer to the end of this file, you'll find described changes to 3.0. Please, follow the updating carefully: there are a lot of changes done in a year!

By now, this is a pre-release, which means it's only partially compatible with all the stuff we have on the website. It's for those who already want to play with it. It is mostly for initial testing and installation. I am continuing working on the following updates, and hope to finish them this year. Plans are the following:

- Make all plugins compatible with the newer version. Currently, New Topic Form add-on and Multiple Topics Action add-ons definitely do not work with this miniBB. File Attachments, Private Messaging will be updated in the nearest time, also making them compatible with the Mobile version.

- Make Compiler compatible with this release. Despite I've updated it for Templates, many add-ons still may provide unexpected bugs.

- Extend all language packs to have the most up-to-date variables listed.

- Upgrade minibb.org, so it runs the latest version with Mobile preview.

- Finally! release of the Mobile version template, which will cover the miniBB 3 concept.

As you see, I am only on the half-way to it now.

This miniBB version is a result of my personal work since August, 2011, and the whole development process was described earlier. This is the first release I have worked out on my own, incl. graphical layout. Fortunately or not, I am working alone on miniBB now, and I have no plans to extend this one-team-player to someone else in the nearest future.

It's popular for a serious work done to dedicate it to someone, but honestly, I see no reasons to dedicate it to someone except me. I truly like this version of miniBB. It's totally mine, and I am the "green guy". Surprisingly, this year we have yet another funny movie about UFOs, which is mostly about me and miniBB.

This release is for Paul. Thank you very much for attention :)
Stay tuned!

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#2 | Posted: 21 Dec 2011 00:42 
Many thanks, Paul, for all the hard work you've put into bringing us this lovely Christmas gift. :-D
Wishing you and all my fellow miniBB users a happy and safe holiday season -
marsbar
P.S. just wanted to point out a possible typo in the updates history file:
following steps 0 and 1 (i.e., db upgrade, and mandatory core file overwrites respectively), we suddenly reach step 4(!) and then finishing with step 3. :-0

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#3 | Posted: 21 Dec 2011 10:52 
Thanks for the point! Obviously, there should be just "2" instead of "4" :)

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#4 | Posted: 21 Dec 2011 12:35 
Hi Paul,
Have you finished checking each available add-on for compatibility, or are you still in the process of checking? You've so far mentioned two add-ons being definitely incompatible with miniBB 3; so, does this mean all the other add-ons are compatible? I'm trying to decide whether to carry out the upgrade now or later when the final release becomes available.
Cheers -
mb

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#5 | Posted: 21 Dec 2011 14:20 
On my end, it could take few weeks regarding updating all add-ons and checking them with this release.

I definitely do not recommend to upgrade to this version now, if you have some of the *difficult* add-ons installed. This version is only for initial testing and may be partial update. It's just published, 'cause it's right after baking.

Regarding the add-ons, most of them have just incompatible layout and CSS. Core functions should run properly. Add-ons like Smilies, Preview, Avatars should work as earlier. All others having strict layout involved, will just not look really nice.

Author Prince
Partaker
#6 | Posted: 21 Dec 2011 15:25 
Many Thanks to you Paul :)

I can't find <html> in header, It shouldn't start with <html><head>? or maybe I'm wrong! :)

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#7 | Posted: 21 Dec 2011 15:34 
Prince:
I can't find <html> in header...
Welcome to HTML5.

Author Prince
Partaker
#8 | Posted: 21 Dec 2011 15:52 
Paul:
Welcome to HTML5.
Is that Ok if I add this:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">

Or maybe for Minibb doesn't need that?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#9 | Posted: 21 Dec 2011 18:52 
Follow compatibility issues :) Not sure what this tag is about, but if it doesn't cause your forums, you may add it.
Usually, META with encoding is enough...

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#10 | Posted: 21 Dec 2011 21:57 
Paul:
On my end, it could take few weeks regarding updating all add-ons and checking them with this release.
I definitely do not recommend to upgrade to this version now, if you have some of the *difficult* add-ons installed. This version is only for initial testing and may be partial update. It's just published, 'cause it's right after baking.
Thank you for clarifying this, Paul; knowing that all good things take time - I'll wait patiently for the final release. :)
With best wishes -
mb

Author muffin
Partaker
#11 | Posted: 3 Jan 2012 19:20 
Paul, great msg :)

Author fox
Partaker
#12 | Posted: 10 Jan 2012 13:51 
Great! Thanks, Paul

Author error404
Partaker
#13 | Posted: 12 Jan 2012 00:32 
Thanks!
Where can I get it?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#14 | Posted: 12 Jan 2012 10:42 
error404:
Where can I get it?
On miniBB.com.
I've mentioned the download link at first...

Author error404
Partaker
#15 | Posted: 12 Jan 2012 14:14 
Paul
Sorry,I didn't see it!

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
News miniBB Support Forums / News /
 miniBB 3.0 is pre-released
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Proceed with the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑