miniBB ® 

miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /  

Is it not possible to move the miniBB forum from a sub-domain to a TLD?

Author PurpleCow
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 18 Jan 2011 04:31 
Hi,

I currently have the miniBB installed in a sub-domain, but I am looking to move/migrate the forum to a TLD (and not a sub-domain).

I will be moving ti to a new host also but good thing is both my old host and new host use/offer cPanel.

Though my forum is quite new, I do have 14 registered users and do not want to lose them and frustrate them.

Is it not possible to achieve this migration? My new host is saying it is not possible.
I know couple of settings need to be changed in the setup_options file.

Thanks much in advance

Author kuopassa
Partaker
#2 | Posted: 18 Jan 2011 04:52 
I have transferred some sites, which have also miniBB, between servers and haven't had any problems. If you can export database dump from current host and import it to the new host, you've got all member files, posts and topics there. Basically you could just copy all the forum files and database to the new server, update settings in setup_options.php etc. and see if everything works... Just don't delete forum files from current host. In that way you've got a backup of that forum. ;-)

Author PurpleCow
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 18 Jan 2011 04:57 
kuopassa:
I have transferred some sites, which have also miniBB, between servers and haven't had any problems.
Have you migrated any from a 'sub-domain' to a TLD which is what my new host is saying could be a problem.

Note: I know it should not really be a problem, but I was a little surprised by the host reply. So thought of checking here in the forums.

Author kuopassa
Partaker
#4 | Posted: 18 Jan 2011 05:09 
I have once migrated from http://www.minibb.thisdomain.com to http://www.thisdomain.com/minibb without problems. In that case the miniBB was located in same server. That went smoothly because subdomain was created with cPanel and I just deleted that subdomain, so what was left, was just ordinary subfolder. :-)

I don't know why your host told that it's not possible, but maybe they thought that miniBB creates some static URL's which are going to be broken when forum is relocated.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#5 | Posted: 18 Jan 2011 06:52 
It is of course possible, but how - it depends on your current settings.

For running on any host, miniBB just requires:

- a physical folder on disk (so you could easily transfer files from one folder to the other, if required)

- a domain which points to that folder (this is set up under cPanel - and then re-setup under setup_options.php)

- mySQL database (which could be transferred from server to server with no major problems and then re-setup under setup_options.php like mentioned above).

Those are all just 3 easy steps...

Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /
 Is it not possible to move the miniBB forum from a sub-domain to a TLD?
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Try the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑