Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Bugs miniBB Support Forums / Bugs /  

First page news add-on bug in combination with the Premoderation add-on

Author Mezix
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 12 Dec 2010 03:57 
Dear BB gurus,
I have bought and installed the premoderation addon. It works fine (as well as premod hack), but...
I have first page news installed as well and pending messages are visible there. My question is: How to make pending messages not visible on firstpage news?
Thanks
Mezix

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 13 Dec 2010 02:53 
Mezix
I guess you need to get the latest version of this add-on, as I remember, some time ago it was fixed to exclude messages from the Pre-moderation queue. Let us know if it will work.

Author Jaime
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 13 Dec 2010 03:23 
I have the add-on too, Latest File Update: 2009-May-27. And only you Mezix's posting, I noticed that it does not work with PreMod. The RSS-Addon is working well so similar, it is adapted to PremMod. Or have I missed something?

Author Mezix
Partaker
#4 | Posted: 13 Dec 2010 09:12 
Yeah, agree with Jaime. The file is not working. It is dated: 2009-May-27. What to do now? Thx

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#5 | Posted: 14 Dec 2010 04:32 
Sorry for confusion - it seems I've messed it up (again) with RSS add-on which already had this option.

Now I brought this code to the 1st page news add-on as well, please try to download and install it, paying attention to remove a double slash comment from the $premodDir option and set it up as the proper path to your forums relatively to the core website.

Let us know if it worked.

Author Jaime
Partaker
#6 | Posted: 14 Dec 2010 06:18 
Thanks for your quick response Paul. I've just installed and it works without a post in the PreMod queue. If a post in the PreMod queue, i have the double slash removend from $premodDir!, nothing is displayed. There must still be a small mistake ;-)

Author Mezix
Partaker
#7 | Posted: 14 Dec 2010 06:36 
In my case: I installed the updated file. The pending message is not visible on the firstpagenews but the other posts either. Additionally the name of the premoderated messenger is visible on the forum mainpage as well.
Bests
Mezix

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#8 | Posted: 14 Dec 2010 09:23 
I understand about the issue with the last message in pre-moderation queue. It is excluded from the template, and this is how the add-on should work.

If it will not be excluded - what to display then? I guess the answer is obvious: the last "opened" message available. But to determine such message, the script should go through ALL messages in a topic, to compare them with the pre-moderation array. It's ok if you have only small amount of messages, let's say 10 or even 20. But as more messages the topic has, as longer the script will work. I think, having more than 50 messages in a topic will mean your website's first page will abnormally slowed down. Specially if you have not just one pre-moderated messages in a topic, but few of them.

So: if you use this add-on in combination with Pre-moderation add-on, either you should have $post_sort option of the "First page news" add-on set to 0, not 1 like it appears by default. That way it will display the first available message in a topic and will sort by new topics, not the last messages (actually, this is how this add-on is supposed to work; setting it being sorted by last messages is really specific and it doesn't mean something "new" anymore).

Or - you should live with the method currently set up, i.e. the message is not displayed and that's all. Yes, the username of the last poster will be displayed in such queue, and there is no way to improve it, except going through all messages in a topic like described above. And like described above, I think, it's better to have just an empty space instead of the actual message posted, else it may take abnormally large time to display a "proper" content.

Actually, this add-on can be set up to display topics/messages from the certain forums, and if you care about the quality of your web page, you should not allow it to display all messages or topics posted, but only messages from the certain forums, where only certain users or moderators are allowed to post content. This is also how this add-on set up on miniBB website - under "News" section, only website stuff is allowed to post new topics, and the add-on is set up to be sorted by new topics.

Author Mezix
Partaker
#9 | Posted: 15 Dec 2010 06:09 
Hello.
We managed to solve it with my Web-master. See the modified lines in the firstpagenews.php:

$sort='topic_last_post_time DESC'; /* Order by: 'topic_id' OR 'topic_last_post_id' */

$post_sort=0;

if($res=db_simpleSelect(0,$Tp,'topic_id,post_text,post_time,poster_name,post_id','','','','topic_id DESC, post_id DESC')){
(instead of ASC)

Result:
- if there is one or more pending message waiting: the topic will move to the top in the firstpagenews, and the intro of the last (accepted) message is visible
- the name of the pending messenger is still visible on the main forum page, but nowhere else

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#10 | Posted: 15 Dec 2010 07:55 
Ok, glad you solved it.

Each customer has a different purpose, so it's up to you of how you customize it :-)

Author Mezix
Partaker
#11 | Posted: 4 Jun 2014 15:09 
Dear all,

Mezix:
Result:
- if there is one or more pending message waiting: the topic will move to the top in the firstpagenews, and the intro of the last (accepted) message is visible
After using the forum for long time this bug turned out to be a problem again. When there is a premoderated message waiting for approval the topic moves up to the top in the firstpagenews module (even if it is years old), it confuses the users, sometimes they start commenting 3-4 years old discussions.

The question is how to ignore pending messages in the firstpagenews and make them invisible until they are approved?

Thank you
Mezix
hajoepitok.hu

Author Jaime
Partaker
#12 | Posted: 4 Jun 2014 17:15 
Hi Mezix ... Hm ...I have now not these problems. But meantime i had also made changes.

In the settings of the addon i had changed:

Old: $path='./forums/';
New: $path='/full-path-to/forums/';

And

Old: $premodDir='./shared_files/';
New: $premodDir='/full-path-to/forums/shared_files';

What settings do you have there?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#13 | Posted: 5 Jun 2014 23:07 
Mezix:
sometimes they start commenting 3-4 years old discussions
I suppose, you love that approach, too ;)

Well, the add-on itself hasn't been updated regarding the algorithms. They all should work like they worked earlier, nothing has been changed. You may get the recent version of the add-on and try it out.

Bugs miniBB Support Forums / Bugs /
 First page news add-on bug in combination with the Premoderation add-on
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Get the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑