Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /  

Forum compromised yet has captcha?

Author Bluesplayer
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 17 Jul 2010 07:07 
Hi

my forum has only been up for a few days but someone has managed to bypass the captcha system to post a number of daft replies. The garbage is nonsensical so I presume it was an automated bot doing it though all the posts are by the same ip. How can I make the forum even more secure?

Regards
Bluesplayer

Author Bluesplayer
Partaker
#2 | Posted: 17 Jul 2010 11:52 
I have looked into this a bit further now and it appears that a user searched for this. Unless a bot can do the above that is. Anyways whatever or whoever followed the link then and posted on my forum. By the looks of it the poster must have been a person and entered the rubbish after using the captcha. I have now banned the ip address.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#3 | Posted: 19 Jul 2010 02:57 
I still have not received facts regarding miniBB's Captcha broken.

What you describe, appears to be manual spam. Don't forget there are milliards of Chinese ;-) they could sit and earn that way. On miniBB forums, we also often get manual spam. There is no weapon against it, except you may try to install Anti-guest add-on which won't pass the message from Guest if it contains any kind of URL, but it won't help a lot against registered members, so actually there is no powerful weapon against manual spam attempts... And yes, banning by IP or IP mask may help against certain spammer as well.

Author kolia7834
#4 | Posted: 27 Jul 2010 06:49 
hi, make you captcha more difficult, e.g. add lines to background.

Author kolia7834
#5 | Posted: 27 Jul 2010 06:58 
i had the same problem, it was robot spam not manual, seems like somebody taught the robots to read the default picture produced by minibb's captcha so i've added a background and changed the fonts size, works so far.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#6 | Posted: 28 Jul 2010 02:29 
Captcha add-on has many settings to make it different from default. On our order page you may see very different examples. You may change font type (setting up very tricky fonts), size, color, add grid, add numbers amount (as more numbers, as more it would be difficult to recognize), so I guess, none of robots would handle all those set up ;-)

Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /
 Forum compromised yet has captcha?
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Check out the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑