Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Suggestions miniBB Support Forums / Suggestions /  

Email Notification of New Topics / Possibility to Subscribe to all topics

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »

Author gtrabant
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 2 Jul 2007 22:55 
I haven't gone thru all the suggestions to see if this has been suggested, so if it has been suggested before, I apologize for duplicating. My forum has been up for a little over a year and I am having trouble, because of the low posting, to get the member to check frequently for new post. It would be nice if their were an option for members to choose to be notified by email whenever their is a new post.

In addition, once the ball started rolling, and more started posting and replying to post, a "Watch this topic for replies" (and get notification by email) even if you are not the originator of the topic/post.

Author tom322
#2 | Posted: 2 Jul 2007 22:58 

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#3 | Posted: 3 Jul 2007 02:11 
The registered member can subscribe himself for e-mails about the new replies in a topic by checking the box right below the text area I write now: Check to watch this topic and get updates by email.

The other thing is from the manuaaal :)

$emailusers=1; If 1, users can subscribe to email notification on all topics and posts they make (even if they are not authors of these topics or posts). Recommended only for small and medium forums. If your forums have a lot of visitors and posters, we recommend to turn this to 0. This setting doesn't affect forgotten password sendings and registration password sendings (see below). Beginning from the version RC3a, it is possible to define, if users may receive notifications on their chosen language (set $emailusers=2;). In this case, you should create email notification files with language 3 letters postfix, for example: email_reply_notify_rus.txt, email_user_register_rus.txt, email_user_password_rus.txt for Russian language (if you defined $lang='rus';). If these files do not exist, default language pack file (email_reply_notify_eng.txt, email_user_register_eng.txt or email_user_password_eng.txt) will be taken. For admin and system notifications, default language pack is taken with ('_eng' postfix).

There's also an option $emailadmin=1; if you're not afraid to be drowned in e-mails.

In general, the manual may be a useful reading sometimes :)

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#4 | Posted: 3 Jul 2007 02:29 
Paul, how do you think, will that be convenient - if the registered mamber has a similar option, $emailusers=1;, in his user profile, too? Something like:

E-mail notificaton for new topics and replies No/Yes

I mean, the member to be capable to choose it himself without affecting the others.

Author gtrabant
Partaker
#5 | Posted: 3 Jul 2007 05:35 
Paul, how do you think, will that be convenient - if the registered mamber has a similar option, $emailusers=1;, in his user profile, too? Something like:

E-mail notificaton for new topics and replies No/Yes

I mean, the member to be capable to choose it himself without affecting the others.

Ivan, that is exactly what I mean. In addition, if possible, for him to have the option to turn the feature off, at any time, if he/she so desires.

Could this be incorporated in a future upgrade or as a paid add-on?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#6 | Posted: 3 Jul 2007 06:35 
Honestly I don't understand in whole what you are trying to discuss.

gtrabant, if you mean an option which allows to subscribe to the WHOLE forums and get notification by email if ANY new message has been posted, then this option is available only to admin and is called $emailadmposts.

I doubt that it is needed to provide such option for each user, even if you have small forums. Providing a lot of fake accounts, I could do about 100 fake subscriptions which will kill your server sometimes. Sending an email is a very resource-heavy operation.

I could develop such addon specially for you for about $250. I doubt I will develop it as a paid-addon since I don't recommend anybody to use such option, and, you know... developing miniBB stuff I release ONLY the things which I personally recommend to use ;-)

Also take a look at the option

$emptySubscribe=TRUE; Uncomment and set to TRUE if you want your users may subscribe to the topic without posting some text.

Anything else regarding checking of forums is written above by our members. IMHO, Forums Checker is the tool which is probably the best for your needs. Think different.

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#7 | Posted: 3 Jul 2007 06:51 
Paul, I think it for long time. Imagine that you have 100 members, 50 of which want every notification possible, but the other 50 (including me :) ) do not want any. Why should I receive bunches of e-mails only because Peter or Henry like notifications and the admin have set them to 1? :)

The server could be killed more easy with the above than with 50 fake registrations. In addition, if you have not open registrations and have Captcha addon, such a problem won't have a way to appear at all.

I. e. yes, we have more than one flexible options, but I wouldn't call the discussed one unusual... specially if it won't charge much the code and could be turned on and off in the general settings. In other words - not fatal to have it not, but fine to have it :)

(Sometimes I'm amazed from my good English :) )

You see, gtrabant, every line in the code of miniBB is a subject of an epic battle of ideas, conceptions, views and approvements of needs :))) That's why it's a state-of-the-art piece.

Greetings from Bulgaria! :)

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#8 | Posted: 3 Jul 2007 09:15 
Why should I receive bunches of e-mails only because Peter or Henry like notifications and the admin have set them to 1?

- if your members are paying $1 for each email, why not ;-)

I will not implement it in the official release anyway.

Public forums have another goal, it is not a mailing list. If somebody would like to implement a mailing list based on forums, it's a subject to plan a very serious software which is not written in PHP.

Author tom322
#9 | Posted: 3 Jul 2007 11:14 
I wouldn't like this option either, too much resources and the Checker does the job as nothing else.

Another, even more important thing, emails sent automatically from shared hosts are most likely to land in the receipients' Junk Mail folders; half of the users don't know how to even open a Junk folder, not to mention how to add the email to Safe list. You'd have to spend time all over again explaining why emails hasn't been delivered etc. - been there, done that ;).

In addition, while some users would enjoy getting notifications at the beginning, after a while when the forum gets busier or when they lose interest in the subject, they will not like receiving notifications. What most of them would do is to... block the forum's emails (that they will learn quickly ;) or mark them as spam in the hopes they won't be getting any more notifications. It takes only a few users from AOL or Verizon (for example) that marked your email as spam to be blacklisted with them.

So the more emails you send, the more problems you may have.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#10 | Posted: 3 Jul 2007 15:01 
You'd have to spend time all over again explaining why emails hasn't been delivered etc.

- that's for sure the point I would pay attention, too. That's one of the issues which we already have been discussed in this topic.

So the more emails you send, the more problems you may have.

- absolutely :-) In our era email address is no more reliable.

Author Bitfiddler
Partaker
#11 | Posted: 3 Apr 2011 09:54 
forum emil notifications are not working.

$emailadmin=0;
$emailusers=1;
$genEmailDisable=0;
$emptySubscribe=TRUE;

and the checkbox in the forum is checked.

Is there anything else I have to setup ?

Author kuopassa
Partaker
#12 | Posted: 3 Apr 2011 14:37 
Do you have correct email templates in the "templates" folder? If you have, maybe the PHP's mail function is disabled.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#13 | Posted: 4 Apr 2011 02:11 
Emails are 100% working in miniBB. It's tested and proved for many years. Something not working on your side is not the reason to consider the software guilty.

Make sure emails are working on the server, in general. If it's your localhost server, email won't work by default. It requires standalone SMTP server installation, which will work from PHP.

Here is a simple PHP script to test if emails are working:

<?php
mail('put_your_email_address_here', 'test subject', 'test message');
?>
name it like testemail.php, run it and check your email to see if something arrived.

Author Guest
~
#14 | Posted: 4 Apr 2011 21:28 
Paul:
<?php
mail('put_your_email_address_here', 'test subject', 'test message');
?>
I tried that and it works. Paul I was not questioning the software qualiy. If you read my post, I am asking if I have forgotten to do something. :-)

Author Bitfiddler
Partaker
#15 | Posted: 4 Apr 2011 21:32 
kuopassa:
Do you have correct email templates in the "templates" folder? If you have, maybe the PHP's mail function is disabled.
I have the standard templates - email_reply_notify_eng.txt looks okay

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
Suggestions miniBB Support Forums / Suggestions /
 Email Notification of New Topics / Possibility to Subscribe to all topics
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Get the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑