miniBB ® 

miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /  

How to get miniBB to work with a flatfile database?

Author guest
#1 | Posted: 1 Apr 2007 10:48 
how can I make minibb to work without a mysql database-> so that it uses just plain files.

how much has to be changed in sourcecode?

Author Moony
Partaker
#2 | Posted: 1 Apr 2007 11:15 
I don't think this is possible without a serious update of the script.

Author 2ramil
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 1 Apr 2007 11:32 
a lot :) but i think it's possible :) you need to rewrite function, which located in setup_mysql. in my opinion, someone not newbie in phph can do it easily

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#4 | Posted: 2 Apr 2007 04:05 
2ramil is right: you need to rewrite all functions in setup_mysql.php and make kind of separate module for flat files.

But I could say it's an idea without effect. WHY do you need flatfiles? Your hosting is not allowing to host mySQL? I would say this could be possible only on some kind of free hosting only. And if so, it will cost for you much more to program flatfiles addon else to pay $7-$10/month for the hosting which will allow to set up the forums in a minute...

It was the time when I am myself tried to implement flat-files module, but I stuck at such functions like search or various sorting options of the topics, latest threads for user's profile etc. - any words, anything which requires a specific database indexing. So programming flatfiles module is a very difficult thing I suppose. Basically it means you need to create sort of mini-database.

Author 2ramil
Partaker
#5 | Posted: 3 Apr 2007 12:50 
But I could say it's an idea without effect. WHY do you need flatfiles? Your hosting is not allowing to host mySQL? I would say this could be possible only on some kind of free hosting only. And if so, it will cost for you much more to program flatfiles addon else to pay $7-$10/month for the hosting which will allow to set up the forums in a minute...
Paul's right. You could purchase a good hosting only for 1$ a month, like i did or use for example, http://good-host.net or http://alfaspace.net or http://bbplace.com (hosting for minibb forums)

Author guest
#6 | Posted: 6 Apr 2007 08:00 
It's not because of the host does not support mysql, it is supported.
but I want to have it in flat files not in a mysql database..
it's just that I don't want to backup the database seperate, I just want to have one directory which has all in it that is needed for the website.

Author Moony
Partaker
#7 | Posted: 6 Apr 2007 12:30 
It's not because of the host does not support mysql, it is supported.
but I want to have it in flat files not in a mysql database..
it's just that I don't want to backup the database seperate, I just want to have one directory which has all in it that is needed for the website.

If you plan to have a big forum, it will slow down the whole thing dramatically. And anyway, you need to backup only your database. You don't need to backup your forum script files too often. Nothing is changed in them. Just have a copy on your PC - that's all.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#8 | Posted: 6 Apr 2007 15:18 
I agree, creating flat files is like re-inventing the wheel... if you are strong enough to do it, you're welcome, miniBB has necessary interface for that :-) But we're not strong at it at all.

The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /
 How to get miniBB to work with a flatfile database?
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Install the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑