®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
News miniBB Support Forums / News /  

miniBB software: new search module

Author Team
8-)
#1 | Posted: 11 Jul 2005 17:31 
In the forthcoming release, we are going to implement completely new search module, which is more native, simple and fast comparing to previous. Your opinion is welcome.

Currently, you can test the module live on our forums:

https://www.minibb.com/forums/index.php?action=search

Only 2 ways of searching by phrase left: searching by all fragments of words and searching by the whole phrase or word. This plan is covering almost every popular request. One or more search words are highlighted in bold in search results. Examples:

Admin Login problem (the most repeated question on miniBB forums)

Install Problem

As more search parameters you specify, as more complicated and thinner becomes search. Given parameters cover many tasks. Examples:

Search by all messages user Team done in May 2004

Any news appearing in News forums on miniBB.com in May-July 2005

Anything about file upload in miniBB

You are welcome to report any suggestions or bugs in this thread, regarding new search module.

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#2 | Posted: 13 Jul 2005 10:30 
I like it.

Team, I had in mind this date format exactly, when we talked about your last plugin - for the user's activity. Don't you think that it will be good to apply it there, too? Finally, you already have written the code... :)

Then you will be able to search for the user's activity for any period - 4 days, 17 days, 1 month and 22 days... Why not?

Now I remember that you have the same situation in "Statistics". How do you think, will it be convenient to change the days there to be the same way?

Author Team
8-)
#3 | Posted: 13 Jul 2005 18:03 
Yes, you are able to search for all posts or topics which exact user has done. But about Statistics - now. It has completely another algorithm, and we are not going to change that, at last, for now.

Author Vishal
Partaker
#4 | Posted: 23 Jul 2005 09:14 
I'm looking forward to implement it on my board soon!

Author cakeman
Partaker
#5 | Posted: 26 Jul 2005 13:35 
Great news, I like this new search module; It will be easier to find what we want.

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#6 | Posted: 20 Jan 2006 04:31 
G'day, Team!

Apologies for digging up an old thread, but I have just upgraded to miniBB2 RC5 from 1.7f and would like to confirm what the different search types do.

The miniBB Manual says:
You can search text in topics and posts, in topics only, in poster names, in specified forums, by all words, [by] any words or [by] the whole phrase.

Am I right in thinking that
1) 'Fragments of words beginning with' search = find any words starting with the search term;
2) 'Complete fragments of words' search = search all words matching the search terms (not in any order);
3) 'Whole phrase' search = match terms exactly as entered (in the same order)?

Thanks in anticipation.
- mb

Author Team
8-)
#7 | Posted: 20 Jan 2006 09:08 
Yes, this is correct. If you search for a 'lock':

1) Will find 'lock', 'locks', but not 'overlock'
2) Will find also 'overlock', 'overlocks' etc.
3) Yes, exactly as entered ('unlock the key' will search exactly for the match 'unlock the key', i.e. all words follow one after another with one space between them).

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#8 | Posted: 20 Jan 2006 12:49 
Understood perfectly! Thank you, Team, for the examples.
Cheers,
marsbar

News miniBB Support Forums / News /
 miniBB software: new search module
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Install the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑