miniBB ® 

miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Master Class miniBB Support Forums / Master Class /  

(micro-optimization) - changing in_array to isset in the $userInfo condition from bb_func_vthread.php file

Author tom322
#1 | Posted: 16 Jun 2019 03:02 
For those interested in micro-optimization.. as far as I know, isset is always faster than in_array because isset checks only one value from array, and in_array goes through all values. So I checked the code in bb_func_vthread.php (which the majority of forum visitors land most frequently) and there is this line of code in the "/* User info in posts */" section:

if(!in_array($cols[0],$userInfo)) $userInfo[]=$cols[0];
I thought to replace it to make use of the isset() function and associative array, so I changed it to:

if(!isset($userInfo[$cols[0]])) $userInfo+=array($userInfo=>$cols[0]);
From what I initially observed after the change, nothing was broken and the speed was a little faster (from my testing using the browser Network).

My question to Paul or others - is this a correct custom change; wouldn't it break anything from other areas of the script/addons; is it safe to use? Thank you.

Author tom322
#2 | Posted: 16 Jun 2019 03:24 
Ok, nevermind, it breaks something (the $getClForums function is not getting proper user_id values), so it's not worthy optimization I guess, sorry :

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#3 | Posted: 16 Jun 2019 12:31 
tom322:
isset is always faster than in_array because isset checks only one value from array, and in_array goes through all values
It is theoretically true, but if we speak about the $userInfo array which is generated in the bb_func_vthread.php file, then it generates only as much values as are set in the $viewmaxreplys setting - i.e. the amount of messages per page which obviously rather won't be set up for more than 50. THIS amount actually doesn't affect anything in terms of `in_array` vs. `isset`. If there would be about 50,000 or even 5,000 values then you'd note a difference :)

That's why this optimization wouldn't make a lot of sense... specially because for `getClForums`, $userInfo be substituted as a plain array of values (user IDs). You solution actually "sums up"... umm, not sure what exactly :)

tom322:
nothing was broken and the speed was a little faster
I suppose an impression of changed speed is a placebo effect, or whatever else happened at that moment (for example, less users visited the site in a moment that's why you were having it). I suppose, this function in terms of the value it holds, is hard-to-catch at the speed measuring.

Author tom322
#4 | Posted: 16 Jun 2019 19:09 
Ok, thank you - that makes sense. You're right that it was not a real test of speed ::

Master Class miniBB Support Forums / Master Class /
 (micro-optimization) - changing in_array to isset in the $userInfo condition from bb_func_vthread.php file
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Try the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑