®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Bugs miniBB Support Forums / Bugs /  

Reverse order keywords search bug?

Author lalex
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 27 Dec 2007 06:10 
Do somebody noted an intricate search manner: for example, the search by keywords "long names" in this "Bugs" forum section (with "fragments of words..." option) brings us one item, and that's correct. However, an inverse keywords order don't give anytning!

When searching between theme topics this don't looks mandatory, but the same with a full search!!! (when any user must be sure to see all of the kind).

It loooks that the keywords order has some significance, isn't it?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 27 Dec 2007 07:45 
That's right and there is no bug. We have only a very simple search function which doesn't re-invents the bicycle, but just allows to search quickly for some term or terms. If you would like to enable some tricky search for your forums, set up Google or Yahoo search or use another kind of difficult search script (because what you described is the purpose of the search engine, not forums IMO).

Author lalex
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 27 Dec 2007 09:15 
Thanx Paul. So the engine was designed for 1-keyword search only? Also it looks the body of the message WITHOUT searching the topic. Both doesn't look logical, that's all. I think the search function mentioned by you is popular, because same issues are discussed for other engines too.

:(

HNY, at last, to all your team!

:)

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#4 | Posted: 27 Dec 2007 10:44 
So the engine was designed for 1-keyword search only?

- nope it is designed to handle as much keywords as it fits to the search phrase length (100 symbols). You can search for "Reverse order" for example (setting Topic titles only) and locate proper topics which also match partial fragments.

Also it looks the body of the message WITHOUT searching the topic.

- that is true, it is limited to search within topic titles or message bodies separately. However in my forums organizing practice, I personally rarely search in the messages because most likely the topic title should contain all proper keywords (and this is very suitable for SE btw).

You can read more thoughts in the "Search option: Search everywhere" suggestion topic and continue the discussion there if you have to say more.

All I can say at the moment - we will not fix this "bug" and will not expand the search option which is in most cases not used on forums anyway. I have a plan to write a solution on how to enable Google / Yahoo search for your website, but it won't go further than that.

As I already mentioned, if you would like to make combined search by topic titles and messages altogether, either you need to re-invent the bicycle and introduce huge fulltext fields in the database which will duplicate your existing data and slow down the overall performance of the database because 5% of users would like to see it enabled; or you use existing methods and algorithms which stand far from the forums engine as they are completely other kind of scripts.

Each script should do only the thing which it's created for :-) We are not developing the flying rockets in PHP.

Happy New Year to you as well, thanks.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#5 | Posted: 27 Dec 2007 10:47 
Both doesn't look logical, that's all.

- BTW this comes from the russian users only :-) Whatever worldwide customer uses our board, it seems enough for him to search using the minimum options we have... Study the market before saying "that doesn't look logical" ;-)

Bugs miniBB Support Forums / Bugs /
 Reverse order keywords search bug?
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Install the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑