miniBB Support Forums
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /   

Login Via email

Author lpetrov
Registered
#1 | Posted: 1 Oct 2014 16:07 
Hello :)
Is it posible to login using email instead username?
And how that works.

Author Paul
Lead Developer
#2 | Posted: 1 Oct 2014 16:34 | Edited by: Paul 
It would be possible, I've made a couple of customizations in the past regarding this method. You need to know miniBB well and possibly understand how it could be connected to a 3rd party database, if you are about 3rd party DB. Couple of miniBB core files like bb_func_login.php and bb_cookie.php should be adjusted to that.

However it doesn't mean users could register profiles without a username. Forums use a public name i.e. username to display in all threads and many other places. Displaying emails to public is unacceptable. So users should register/have a Username anyway. Further process makes logging via email not meaningful, because Username is involved anyway.

Author kuopassa
Registered
#3 | Posted: 4 Oct 2014 20:35 
If an email address could be used when logging in, an automatically generated nickname could be the way to proceed. I mean that something like "AnonymousX" would be given to a new user (where the X is an incremental number). After logging in user could either choose to use the automatically generated nick or he could change it from Preferences page.

Author Paul
Lead Developer
#4 | Posted: 6 Oct 2014 00:05 
This case would mean you'd need to have duplicated tables. One for the primary website, another one for the forum. May be for someone this would work; but if you'd ask me, if this truly would work me as the coder, I would answer NO, 'cause I'm too lazy to take care about two or more different tables.

That goes against terms of polite coding for any project.

Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific / Login Via email Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Short link for this topic:

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with our forum posting rules. If not, it may be locked or deleted with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contacts
Get the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.
Captcha Addon for miniBB