®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /  

A Question for Japanese tableware knowers

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#1 | Posted: 7 Apr 2024 18:29 
In the most recent full animation movie directed by the legend Hayao Miyazaki and titled "The Boy and the Heron", my attention was attracted by the little kettle, used by the main chatacter, Mahito, while he's recovering from injury.

Below are the couple of screenshots showing what I mean:

Japanese kettle in Miyazaki's "The boy and the heron"

Japanese kettle in Miyazaki's "The boy and the heron"

This is relatively small kettle as it fits the kid's arm. It doesn't have a handle, and its lid appears being hermetically closed. It's the bed-table kettle for safe drinking, overall.

Great thing, but I couldn't find something similar to purchase... so, the question is: is such kind of kettle named specifically? Perhaps there's a special word for it in Japanese?

Or possibly, it only exists in Miyazaki's animated world and not in real life?

I'd appreciate all versions and answers.

Author tom322
#2 | Posted: 13 Apr 2024 01:27 
I did some research, and possibly this keyword can help: Kyusu (or glass Kyusu ;)

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#3 | Posted: 19 Apr 2024 10:25 
tom322
I appreciate for your efforts.

I've checked what Kyusu looks like, but I wouldn't say it's even similar to what's shown in the movie. It looks to be for brewing the tea, not drinking it (or just keeping the drink warm) in the way like the kid does.

A few examples:

Kyusu kettle

Kyusu kettle

Kyusu kettle

All of them, and obviously each kettle named Kyusu has an authentic handle, but the one shown in the movie has not. Even the model made of glass has it:

Kyusu kettle โ€” glass model

So, it is not what I'm looking for, but thanks a lot anyway! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Author tom322
#4 | Posted: 19 Apr 2024 23:07 
Well, since it was not a real movie, perhaps such thing doesn't exist in real life ;) Still, it may be something related to taking medicine / hospital setting.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#5 | Posted: 20 Apr 2024 23:53 
The whole movie is surreal, but I'm just being wondered if it's surreal even up to such small details... I'm continuing investigation, asking more people... ;)

Even if such kettle doesn't exist in real life, it would be worth to produce! I'm sure it's very practical thing.

The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /
 A Question for Japanese tableware knowers
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Check out the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑