miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /  

Allowing only pre-assigned by admin users to access the forums

Author Mike_
#1 | Posted: 4 Jan 2008 12:54 
Hello. I am an instructor that will be teaching a hybrid course (half in-class, half online). I would like to set up a message board for my students to use to ask questions and whatnot.

I want to know if there is a way for me to preassign students a login and password to the forums I create and only allow these students be able to post to my forums? That is, I don't want anyone else to be able to make an account and to start posting.

Please let me know as your forums look great!

Thanks for your help.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 4 Jan 2008 13:08 
Hello Mike,

most probably you would need to set the option

$enableNewRegistrations=FALSE;

of setup_options.php which prevents new registrations.

However being logged as admin you can still sign up an account for certain user and whatever you need to use is the link which will look like

http://here_goes_your_URL/index.php?action=registernew

You can paste this link in the free HTML from under templates/admin_panel.html template so it would be comfortable to go to it next time when you need register a user... or just put it in your browser's Bookmarks. It's up to you.

Author Anonymous
#3 | Posted: 4 Jan 2008 16:17 
Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking that I could also have students self-register and I could then approve those registrations on the admin side of things.

Is that also possible?

Author tom322
#4 | Posted: 4 Jan 2008 20:30 
Is that also possible?

Yes - via Premoderation addon

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#5 | Posted: 5 Jan 2008 04:30 
Please refer to this thread, there is a free solution:

Administrator approving new users?

;-)

Author Roman2012
#6 | Posted: 8 Mar 2012 11:51 
Hello,
I know that Admin can grant access to certain sub-forums to a closed list of users. However, I need something opposite: grant access to a sub-forum anybody but certain users. Is there any standard feature or a solution in mini-BB to realize it?

Thank you for response!

Sincerely,
Roman.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#7 | Posted: 8 Mar 2012 19:27 
Roman2012:
Is there any standard feature or a solution in mini-BB to realize it?
The standard feature is not present of such way, however you can emulate it using existing miniBB options. So the solution is possible.

Author Roman2012
#8 | Posted: 10 Mar 2012 12:46 
And how I can emulate it using existing mini-BB options?

Do I need a function which returns the complete set of current user IDs, except certain defined, for it?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#9 | Posted: 13 Mar 2012 20:06 
Roman2012:
And how I can emulate it using existing mini-BB options?
It's a professional question and is up to your imagination and our working rates ;)

Author Roman2012
#10 | Posted: 18 Mar 2012 01:17 
Thank you! My imagination suggests me to move to some really free and configurable BB-family engine with neither hidden smiles nor hidden charges.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#11 | Posted: 19 Mar 2012 21:50 
It's not up to hidden charge, it's about custom coding (for your custom task).

The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /
 Allowing only pre-assigned by admin users to access the forums
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Try the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑