miniBB ® 

miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
News miniBB Support Forums / News /  

Private Messaging addon updated (serious fix)

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#1 | Posted: 8 Feb 2007 10:50 
To all customers who have purchased our Private Messaging addon, I recommend to update their version, replacing main addon_pmail.php with what we have in the latest release 1.6.1 now. Follow our customers section to gain an access to the most fresh version released now.

A miserable failure in the scripting of the older file could bring you surprisingly bad information about your hosting place is over. This could happen specially on large forums, where users communicate with each other very actively.

The reason of the bug is: when maximum amount of sent messages specified in $maxSentMessages option reaches limit, the most earlier sent message is deleted from the cache, but the file containing the message text has been left.

That's why the "collected files" size may become very large in the final.

New fixed version of the addon avoids that.

I wrote a very simple sent messages cleaner script which follows the private messages folder and removes undeleted sent message files. If you run this file you may clean up the space and empty all fake files at once.

This file works only for the systems not in Safe Mode. If you're running PM addon in safe mode, you can delete all sent files via regular selection in FTP client by mask. The mask for the sent messages text files is

*_sent_*

and the mask for the sent message cache files is

*_sent.*

Applying the mask to the files selection, you may delete them easily, since in Safe Mode they all are kept in one folder.

It is recommended to run this file before you do an upgrade, to remove spare files.

After deletion of the sent messages, it is possible that "Received (...) - Sent (...) - Reminding (...)" panel at the top will still indicate wrong number of the sent messages. This number will be fixed right after the first message in the upgraded system will be sent.

Happy upgrading - and my apologies for this mistake. I hope the provided solution and explanation will fix your system. Don't hesitate to ask in this thread if you have any questions regarding this issue.

News miniBB Support Forums / News /
 Private Messaging addon updated (serious fix)
 Share Topic's Link

This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Get the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑