Hello Paul,
I am moving my desktop forum (running miniBB 3.7.2) to the stock templates, so that future upgrades are easier. While comparing files, I noticed something in templates/search_box.html.
The script preventSpace() removes every space from the search field while you type or paste, and again just before the form is sent. So a visitor who types "donald duck" ends up searching for "donaldduck", and gets no results. The same happens here on minibb.com: try typing two words into the small search box.
The full Search page (search.html) accepts spaces, and bb_func_search.php splits the phrase into words, so multi-word searches work there. Only the small search box blocks them, and visitors can't see why their search failed.
My questions: 1. Is this intentional? If so, what is the reason (performance, spam, something else)? 2. Would you consider removing the script, or making it optional, in a future release?
For now I am going to use the stock search_box.html without that script, and keep everything else stock. If this is an unwise move, please let me know!
Thank you for miniBB and for your help.
--marsbar |