®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Bugs miniBB Support Forums / Bugs /  

Strange appearance of search result

Author Moony
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 6 Sep 2007 08:24 
I have noticed that sometimes search results show big ammounts of text below topic title. For example, I search by the word "forum" on this forum and under number 28 get the following:

28. Posted: 20 Aug 2007 04:46 - Other / gzcompress() large strings
...'t make sense for miniBB. First of all, we're using TEXT type fields for storing the messages, not BLOB fields like the author uses. TEXT type is limited in size to 64 Kbytes and most often forum messages do not overlimit even 2-3 Kb. Second, this field is used in the internal search algorithm, and gz'compressed fields can not be searched by regular text. The author writes about it too, "The only exception is when I need full text indexing capabilities." About validating the emails - as I already wrote in the linked thread, it's not a way to validate the emails in full, so it's not even useful to use such approach. As you may read the author refers to this method as to "Partially validating email addresses." The only interesting thing I discovered is that author suggests "to store IP addresses as integers instead of strings in a database". This was a known issue for us when we started miniBB, however until these days the IP is stored as character field. Most probably it would be more efficient to implement this issue in the future... Thanks for the information....

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 7 Sep 2007 08:25 
Thanks, it appears so... I will work on it in the forthcoming release.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#3 | Posted: 19 Sep 2007 04:22 
Well, it appears to be a childish mistake :-)

To fix it yourself, edit bb_func_search.php and locate the following:

$middleTxt=substr($text,$start,$end);

it should be:

$middleTxt=substr($text,$start,$end-$start);

Will be fixed in the forthcoming release 2.1. Thanks again.

Bugs miniBB Support Forums / Bugs /
 Strange appearance of search result
 Share Topic's Link

This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Install the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑