®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
News miniBB Support Forums / News /  

Internet Explorer 7 - Enabling Scripted Windows for miniBB-based community

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#1 | Posted: 19 Dec 2006 04:00 
Recently issued Windows Update offered me to update Internet Explorer; now I've got skinny-puppy version 7 with refreshed interface and the gold bar appearing each time when I click on "Image Link" or "URL Link" buttons above the message area, if I want to insert picture or www link in my post.

The reason is in Internet Explorer 7 the window.prompt script method is blocked and the gold Information bar is displayed by default in the Internet Zone. This was employed by Microsoft to help prevent websites from spoofing things such as the logon screens of other websites. This is a new security enhancement for Internet Explorer 7. MiniBB uses the window.prompt script to open the dialog where users may enter their URL data for the outside picture or link.

To enable these options working, follow these steps:

- Open Internet Explorer, click the Tools button, click Internet Options, and then click the Security tab.

IE7 Tools Options menu

- Click Internet, and then click the Custom level button.

- Scroll down to Allow websites to prompt for information using scripted windows, select Enable.

IE7 Enabling Scripted Windows

- Click OK until you return to Internet Explorer.

Author tom322
#2 | Posted: 19 Dec 2006 10:13 
Alternatively, one can use firefox.com - works like a charm without changing any settings. ;)

I feel and hope Microsoft will change this setting soon as this security thing could probably be done without changing these settings - just like FF did.

Author Moony
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 20 Dec 2006 02:00 
There it should be written in the footer: "Best viewed with FireFox :) "

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#4 | Posted: 20 Dec 2006 02:17 
There it should be written in the footer: "Best viewed with FireFox :)
This is the footer for the whole WWW probably :-)

I tried to use IE7 these days, and I don't feel impressed. However I believe Microsoft invested in developing this kind of "new" interface a lot, and there are more pros than cons, and this all is just a matter of time.

I'm also sure MS introduced this "scripting windows" feature by a goal. You can't imagine how many users are calling MS support and f*cking off their phones. I can't say all these users are experienced enough. Introducing special option for JS windows, Microsoft prevented themselves from any complaints about "somebody hacked my PC because of that" etc. Now it's completely in user's hands.

News miniBB Support Forums / News /
 Internet Explorer 7 - Enabling Scripted Windows for miniBB-based community
 Share Topic's Link

This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Install the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑