®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Suggestions miniBB Support Forums / Suggestions /  

Avoid multiple logins from different computers

Author Prince
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 23 Aug 2011 19:25 
I've a good suggestions for user log in.

When "someone" logged in forum, and another one log in with that "someone" ID, then first ID log out automatically and the user will know someone else logged in by his ID. (I mean nobody could log in same time with same ID and Password).

In Facebook, Yahoo, and some other places I saw that, if it could be available on MiniBB, that would be great also.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#2 | Posted: 23 Aug 2011 21:27 
Facebook and Yahoo care about their users privacy, but in miniBB we have no private data involved, then why we should take care of it ;)

Actually it's a discussable approach as it may have lots of implementation variations. Most possible the IP address should be involved, and some sessions. I doubt we need this by default on a simple board.

Thanks for suggestion though!

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#3 | Posted: 25 Aug 2011 10:30 
I've thought about it for more, and what I think: if somebody was logged in on the other computer, it was either you, either the person who owed your account's username and password.

If it was you, I don't see a problem here. You can be logged in on the laptop and PC at once, going to the kitchen and back while chatting on forums.

If it wasn't you, the problem is not about preventing logging you out from another PC. When you are not logged in, the intruder may log in under your nickname anyway. The problem is somewhere else: because of the hole in miniBB itself, or because you written down your username/password on the stick-it note and left it on the monitor, and somebody from your family or colleagues found it.

I actually can't have a motivation to program logging-out procedure just because "it should be so". In practice, it seems doesn't matter...

Author Prince
Partaker
#4 | Posted: 25 Aug 2011 17:17 
Paul:
In practice, it seems doesn't matter...
Just thought if it was an easy things to consider it, so it's just a suggestion sir :)

But One of my users reported to me for some strange thing (I've never seen it my self)

He said, He logged in with his user and password, after clicking on enter, another user and password were logged in, (other user of forum).
I didn't understand how could it happen, but maybe from the Anti-Filtering softwares like (UltraSurf or...) if two person has same program, but how can it be? Does it happen for you or any one else? if so how it could be and what's the problem?

Thanks,

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#5 | Posted: 25 Aug 2011 22:06 
Proxies. It may come from proxies, or some cached network.

Author Prince
Partaker
#6 | Posted: 27 Aug 2011 18:06 
Paul:
Proxies. It may come from proxies, or some cached network.
It happened again for some users I have in my forum.

So there is no any way to prevent such thing? or couldn't be a bug on log in or cookies on forum?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#7 | Posted: 29 Aug 2011 12:32 
I'm mostly sure there is a way to fix, but it needs more debugging information. I am not wizard to determine where the problem comes from. Obviously, I should be one of those users to repeat the problem, to start having an idea where it comes from.

Suggestions miniBB Support Forums / Suggestions /
 Avoid multiple logins from different computers
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Try the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑