miniBB ® miniBB®
miniBB Support Forums
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /   

Capital usernames?!?

Author Fox
#1 | Posted: 8 Jul 2008 10:51 
when anybody (except admin) registeres a username with some capital letter, he cannot login. (no error messages or something.... it just blinks and nothing more...) what should do i do with it?

Author Paul
Lead Developer
#2 | Posted: 8 Jul 2008 13:22 
1. Would be great to see your URL to check it. Are you registering Latin symbols only?

2. Try to set $loginsCase=FALSE; in setup_options.php

Author JamieC
#3 | Posted: 26 Oct 2008 18:59 
I've installed miniBB this afternoon and have the same problem. You can see it here:

I can get it to work only by setting: $loginsCase=FALSE; so usernames are case sensitive. Leaving it commented out, or set to TRUE doesn't seem to work.

This is with what I presume is the latest version. Otherwise it's a nice, snappy piece of software :-)

Author Paul
Lead Developer
#4 | Posted: 27 Oct 2008 07:21 
It seems $loginsCase is set to FALSE now so I can't test how it works (I registered 2 fakes accounts on your forums, one of them is CapiTAL - but I can check it only if you set this to TRUE).

Author JamieC
#5 | Posted: 27 Oct 2008 18:11 
Paul, thanks - I noticed them & wondered...

I've now set $loginsCase=TRUE; and although you can register with mixed case, you can't login..

The MySQL tables are "latin2_czech_cs" (Czech/case sensitive).

I don't mind having case insensitive logins - in fact I prefer them, because the collation is case-insensitive, anyway, but it did throw me for a while.

Author Paul
Lead Developer
#6 | Posted: 28 Oct 2008 03:29 | Edited by: Paul 
What kind of mySQL version do you use?

Your problem seems very specific and unfortunately without deep debugging, I can't say what's wrong. Whatever I can say the problem belongs to your mySQL settings or something else on your side... On miniBB demo page we have $loginsCase=TRUE; and as you may see, this setting works from all aspects... so you can register some user name containing both uppercase and lowercase, then log-in using lowercase only, and it works.

On your server, there is something strange, because when I register something in uppercase/lowercase, and if that setting is set to TRUE, then I can log-in only with lowercase... not with my original user name.

Author JamieC
#7 | Posted: 28 Oct 2008 04:09 

Yes. I'm using mySQL 4.1.18 - it's installed by my hosting company, so it's not under my direct control. I suspect it's to do with the "latin2_czech_cs" collation & the way this is actually indexed in the b-tree nodes on the server. I'm not very familiar with mySQL, having used c-tree for years, but that's what I'd look for with c-tree.

So, nothing to do with miniBB :-)

As I mentioned, I'll put it back to $loginsCase=FALSE because you can't have fex. 'CapitaL' and 'capital' as different users anyway!

Many thanks for your time & effort.

Author Paul
Lead Developer
#8 | Posted: 28 Oct 2008 05:25 
Ok, that optional change is the best method for you then. Good luck in using the forums!

Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific / Capital usernames?!? Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Short link for this topic:

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with our forum posting rules. If not, it may be locked or deleted with no explanation.
miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contacts
Get the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.
Captcha Addon for miniBB