miniBB Support Forums
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Re-cycled miniBB Support Forums / Re-cycled /   

Figthing Spam

Author Jan
Registered
#1 | Posted: 10 May 2014 11:27 
Hi,

any idea how to fight spam? I purchased CAPTCHA plugin. It helped a little. Then I had to disable guests. Now there's only one spam post a day. How can I eliminate it completely without decreasing user's comfort? I would like to enable guests again.

Thanks.

Author Jaime
Registered
#2 | Posted: 10 May 2014 12:04 | Edited by: Jaime 
Hi Jan and welcome,

This adjustment you can make in the bb_plugins.php

Check out what it says under $enableForPostings ... where you have put the code for the captcha.

Is it set to FALSE (OFF) set it to TRUE (ON). And here more for spam protection with the CAPTCHA (Human Authorization)

Author Paul
Lead Developer
#3 | Posted: 10 May 2014 21:11 
I've recently posted some improvement recommendations regarding this add-on, you may try them out.

The basic recommendation is that you must change default settings to more customized. Amount of chars and chars string itself, secret key, fonts etc.

Author Paul
Lead Developer
#4 | Posted: 10 May 2014 21:34 
Actually what kind of spam do you have?

If guests post links, you should prevent them from that, plugging in the anti-guest add-on.
This add-on also has the list of keywords to forbid in posts.

This is the best method of antispam protection I know. It's also plugged in here on miniBb forums; and as you see, may be only couple of wastefull messages pass from guests per day, may be even not any.

Re-cycled miniBB Support Forums / Re-cycled / Figthing Spam Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Short link for this topic:

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with our forum posting rules. If not, it may be locked or deleted with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contacts
Install the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.
Captcha Addon for miniBB