Trade Mark and Copyright are different things
- That's what we know without doubt :-)Have in mind also that every registration in a national patent bureau: - is only for the respective country
- that's also a known issue for us... Anyway, what we are going to protect, is a wording "miniBB" and nothing else. This is, besides all, the free project, and we have not enough resources to pay for every aspect.
US Patent Office is the largest in the word, and we doubt that in some country, after trademark is registered in this institution, this wording will be possible to register in the same business area locally (or somebody will have it without problems in the future). Local institutions are all checking for compatibility with US Office.
So far we know the following:
- [tm] symbol doesn't mean any registered trademark, it only means trademark is going
to be registered, or its registration is in the progress.
- (R) symbol can be shown ONLY if the product is officially registered in US Patent Office! http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/tac/doc/basic/register.htm
- (c) symbol can be placed anywhere by anybody, who is claiming his own copyright. It's not required to register this, and pay for it, anywhere. It just indicates author rights. http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/tac/doc/basic/trade_defin.htm
This is, overall, quite interesting discussion! Thanks.