Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /  

Downgrading admininstrator, upgrading user

Author Rider
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 21 Aug 2014 23:01 
Hi guys,

New here, and trying to get to know Minibb.

I am the new administrator of a miniBB forum. My predecessor's user account (with user_id=1) has to be downgraded to a regular user, and my own user account (which is currently a regular user) upgraded to administrator. Although creating an entirely new user account to be the administrator is also a possibility.

How can I best do this?

I bet it's not as simple as just change the value of $admin_usr and $admin_pwd in setup_options.php into my own username/pwd, since from what I read the administrator must have user_id=1.

Author tom322
#2 | Posted: 22 Aug 2014 17:01 
Not possible to downgrade admin. The suggested and easiest way is just to continue as original admin.

Author Rider
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 22 Aug 2014 19:46 
I could take over the admin's user name, but it wouldn't make sense since it's his first name.
Can the user name be changed (into something less personal)?

Author tom322
#4 | Posted: 22 Aug 2014 19:49 
It can be changed directly in database by running an SQL query plus checking some settings; it's a custom job and I recommend you to use Paul's custom support: Premium miniBB Customers Support to have it done quickly and professionally.

Author Rider
Partaker
#5 | Posted: 22 Aug 2014 23:06 
Ok, thanks for your help.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#6 | Posted: 23 Aug 2014 18:35 
Besides of the options file, you just need to change previous admin's name in all topics, posts, PMs, polls tables etc.; for all cases the SQL command is similar and mentioned here.

Author Rider
Partaker
#7 | Posted: 23 Aug 2014 23:55 
Thanks Paul. Yes I figured that. But maybe I don't even have to change the previous admin's name in old topics etc. As long as new topics I post (as admin) will show the new name, it's fine with me.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#8 | Posted: 24 Aug 2014 17:20 
Then in the users table, you just need to assign a non-existing user ID to the earlier admin's account, preferrably it should be the next ID in the auto-incremental order following the current max. ID. Otherwise, you must assign userID=1 to your current regular account. The SQL commands may look like these:

update minibbtable_users set user_id=... where user_id=1;
update minibbtable_users set user_id=1 where user_id=...;

Also change setup_options.php assigning the same admin's password as for your current regular account.

Author Rider
Partaker
#9 | Posted: 24 Aug 2014 23:24 
Done it.
I created an entirely new user account with a non-personal name to become the administrator. Then switched both user_id's directly in the database like you said and voila. Maybe in the future I will change all the rest (posts, PM's etc), but at the moment I can live with seeing old postings of the previous admin with the undertitle still saying 'Admin'.
I will use the admin account only for admin purposes. For the regular chatting etc. I keep using my regular account.
Thanks for your help.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#10 | Posted: 25 Aug 2014 13:08 
You're welcome! Thanks for report. Glad it helped.

Specific miniBB Support Forums / Specific /
 Downgrading admininstrator, upgrading user
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Try the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑