miniBB ® 

miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Custom Tutorials and Modifications miniBB Support Forums / Custom Tutorials and Modifications /  

Recent Forum Discussions in marquee style

Author csp
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 11 Aug 2005 02:54 
I was looking for a small marquee-type script that I could put on a small homepage template of my photo gallery to link to discussions in my minibb forum. The news script for minibb wasn't quite what I wanted, as my photo gallery template is small. It's scripting that you change manually to include whatever "recent" discussions you would like to highlight (ie, most popular, etc.) You open your forum homepage and copy the shortcuts to the discussions that you want to feature (can be 4, 5, 6). Each has a link on it so that it takes visitor right to that discussion on the minibb forum. Change them out manually as other topics become popular. Takes a matter of minutes daily, weekly or whenever, if you know html.

Author luis
Partaker
#2 | Posted: 11 Aug 2005 06:36 
i think u can use the news script for this.. just have to change the templates, and its done. i'm gonna try to do a marquee and let you know.

Author Team
8-)
#3 | Posted: 11 Aug 2005 10:36 
Putting <marquee>{$contentFeed}</marquee> tags in templates/hack_1stpagenews2.html and <a href="{$linkToTopic}"><b>{$topic_title}</b></a> by {$topic_poster_name} in templates/hack_1stpagenews_cell2.html should give you the same results.

Author Team
8-)
#4 | Posted: 11 Aug 2005 10:48 
Examples:

hack_1stpagenews2.html

<span class=txtNr>Recent <a href="{$linkToForum}">Forum</a> Topics:</span>
<br>
<marquee width="150" scrollamount="10">{$contentFeed}</marquee>

hack_1stpagenews_cell2.html

<span class=txtNr><a href="{$linkToTopic}"><b>{$topic_title}</b></a> by {$topic_poster_name}&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</span>

Author csp
Partaker
#5 | Posted: 12 Aug 2005 01:08 
I'm a novice, so I may be WAY off here, so bear with me ... but,

What is the advantage of adding the 1stpagenews add-on to minibb and then adding script to 2 pages just to duplicate what can be accomplished with one small bit of script in one html page (my homepage)? Does the above do anything different, like automatically pick up the latest discussions?

I can understand if members already have the add-on incorporated into their boards, but is there an advantage to adding it just for the marquee?

Author Team
8-)
#6 | Posted: 12 Aug 2005 10:18 
The advantage is that you do not have to edit something by hand in the future. Just compile everything you need in your scripts, and your news feed will be generated automatically. You just need to moderate the forum and not to worry about news feed, since it will be generated on the fly.

Author csp
Partaker
#7 | Posted: 12 Aug 2005 16:44 
Gotcha!

Thanks! ;)

Custom Tutorials and Modifications miniBB Support Forums / Custom Tutorials and Modifications /
 Recent Forum Discussions in marquee style
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Check out the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑