®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /  

Forum Archives?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »

Author Anonymous
#1 | Posted: 10 Nov 2005 18:54 
Is it possible to do archives using minibb? are archives done automatically when there are X number of posts/topics? Thanks... tom

Author Anonymous
#2 | Posted: 10 Nov 2005 19:04 
Nevermind - it's described in the manual :)

Author Team
8-)
#3 | Posted: 11 Nov 2005 09:55 
We are planning to make archivating feature for the next versions... until now, you need to do that manually.

Author karmanis
Partaker
#4 | Posted: 5 Sep 2006 11:16 
Any progress on Archiving ?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#5 | Posted: 5 Sep 2006 12:52 
"The most important feature left to implement, I think, is the archiving possibility, when you can run the forums within ages. That's the main goal left to make it perfect; but a couple of years are required to make a decision, how to make it better."

This is what I already previously for OneCommune.net :-) It's still in "thinking" study.

Author Moony
Partaker
#6 | Posted: 16 Sep 2006 10:36 
What is the point in аrchiving? To make database smaller or what?

Author tom322
#7 | Posted: 16 Sep 2006 15:17 
What is the point in аrchiving? To make database smaller or what?
Yes, I think so. If the database is too large the forums go slow..

Author Moony
Partaker
#8 | Posted: 16 Sep 2006 17:37 
Yes, I think so. If the database is too large the forums go slow..
If you have a fast server (your own server), then you'll need many millions of posts or gigabytes of texts on your forum to make it slow. Am I right?

Author tom322
#9 | Posted: 16 Sep 2006 17:55 
Well, it depends I guess. Mostly on hardware on which runs the forum --

I assume when I have a dedicated server and run MiniBB with "Sql Disk Usage" to be let's say 1GB - I would have no problem running MiniBB, correct?

Author Moony
Partaker
#10 | Posted: 17 Sep 2006 11:19 
I assume when I have a dedicated server and run MiniBB with "Sql Disk Usage" to be let's say 1GB - I would have no problem running MiniBB, correct?
Team, Paul, is it correct? What can you say?

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#11 | Posted: 17 Sep 2006 13:13 
The key question, I think, is: What and why exactly you need to archive?

Usually you archive stuff that won't be written in it, only for reading (excepting by the admin/mods!). But I have done this already,creating one forum "Archives". I close the long topics (I have such - a few but very long) and move them there , and it's OK.

In the same time miniBB can maintain big databases (simple structure/much text), but it might be good to remove the archived material, just to make it lighter.

The archived topics is good to be accessible through the same board interface (as in read only forum, same kind of links). It's good, too, the VIEW of the archives to be the same as in the active part of the board - just as the topics/posts have been created/posted.

So, may be it can be done doubling the database tables and putting the archived stuff there. Then in the process of archiving the former links could be simply "reworked" - as when you move a message. You see, the same links simply to begin to point to tables 7-12 instead of 1-6.

Then the active board will continue to work only with tables 1-6, ignoring tables 7-12, and when you want to read archived stuff, it will switch to tables 7-12. Nobody can read and write in the same time, excepting if he starts another copy of the board :)

I dont know is it posiible to reach this with one database...

Or may be with two, reached with the same script...

However, Paul and Team could say better.

Author tom322
#12 | Posted: 17 Sep 2006 15:34 
The key question, I think, is: What and why exactly you need to archive?
For me it would be only one reason - to make sure the board runs fast and with no problems - even if sql disk usage is very high.

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#13 | Posted: 17 Sep 2006 15:49 
To separate the read-only materials and to have a good and beautiful order in the board are not less important reasons.

In Brasil there is miniBB with 2 millions of posts ant 10s of thousands of members, and runs well, so this fetish word "fast"... :) is only in the theory of the microseconds :)

Author tom322
#14 | Posted: 17 Sep 2006 15:56 
In Brasil there is miniBB with 2 millions of posts ant 10s of thousands of members, and runs well, so this fetish word "fast"... :) is only in the theory of the microseconds :)

I guess it must be on a dedicated server, right? :) I think they have some kind of custom "archiving" http://forum.cifraclub.terra.com.br/arquivo.php but don't know exactly how it works...

Author Ivan
Advanced Member
#15 | Posted: 17 Sep 2006 17:09 
I suppose it is :) I do not imagine it's in his kitchen :))) But I, too, cannot tell how the archiving is made. I see there many sub and sub directories, may be it's converted to HTML pages. It's terrible work if it has to be done manually for a bigger board :)

Its archives are separated by periods (years/months). But it could be also by length, by type of the topics - only to repeat the structure of the forum... The important thing is to choose the principle.

This was only an idea - with the doubling of the database...

Greetings :)

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /
 Forum Archives?
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Get the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑