miniBB ® 

miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
News miniBB Support Forums / News /  

6 years of miniBB: version 2.2 opens the new age!

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4

Author Vishal
Partaker
#46 | Posted: 31 Mar 2008 23:24 
The current layout appears to be the best with user info at the top.

Author deuced
Partaker
#47 | Posted: 1 Apr 2008 01:45 
Paul:
2) Username column on top of post is compatible with the current version of miniBB, it still allows to recognize post's content amongst usernames, and it is suitable for the users who pay attention at username before reading; that way they are reading from top to left to right. With this model also there is a big opportunity: each message takes its own table, and that's why the page loads up gradually. On slow connections you don't need to wait until the whole HTML will be loaded up. However this layout limits the using of additional info near user's nickname; to avoid a lot of empty space and unpleasant look of the page, you must care about small size avatars and limit the user's information provided in post.
I agree with that option and with vishal but there's no ideal solution for everyone. And that's miniBB's power, that can be easily changed to whatever a designer wants.

IMHO, putting user info at the top of a message is a great solution for everyone that integrates miniBB in it's own layout but have limited width. In my fixed width site i had only 480px available width and i couldn't waste one column for just user info so putting it at the top of each message (as a matter of fact i have put it inside message box) was the only way to leave all the available width for the message itself.

On the other hand, if miniBB is being used "alone" in a site which is mainly a forum site then the free space is "too much". Looking at this forum in a wide screen and with my browser opened in a 1024px window, i like the first page where a right column has thread's infos but reading messages in a thread (like this one) and replying, reveals me lot of empty (and wasted) space (like the one next to this message box) and also letters in every message seems a bit enlarged compared to what i usually see, not ideal for long messages because it destructs your attention from the message. So placing userinfo in a separate column would be better (for me).

But all these are just personal taste and can be easily changed according to everyone needs. The most important thing in a tempate is not the template itself but the easiness to change it!

PS: Most important thing for miniBB is to stay focus in "mini".

Author Team
8-)
#48 | Posted: 3 Apr 2008 04:48 
deuced:
Looking at this forum in a wide screen and with my browser opened in a 1024px window, i like the first page where a right column has thread's infos but reading messages in a thread (like this one) and replying, reveals me lot of empty (and wasted) space (like the one next to this message box) and also letters in every message seems a bit enlarged compared to what i usually see, not ideal for long messages because it destructs your attention from the message.
It's hard to imagine what kind of "empty space" are you about. If the font size appears bigger to you, that's only could be better because when you read the small letters on the wide screen it's always harder if you read bigger letters on the wide screen.

IMO the current miniBB makes it ideal to read the text, because the text is separated from other forum elements (though it reminds me vB style). When you have a username put on the left or right column, and if you have a large posting, exactly username's column provides a lot of empty space. In the matter of screen resources this version seems the best for me.

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 
News miniBB Support Forums / News /
 6 years of miniBB: version 2.2 opens the new age!
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Check out the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑