miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
Suggestions miniBB Support Forums / Suggestions /  

improving accessibility for blind people

Author Dan
#1 | Posted: 19 Jan 2004 17:17 
I'm looking to improve the accessibility of open-source projects, particularly for blind users. I'll do the work, but I might need an answer to an occasional question.

Is this of interest to the development team? Have you already done accessibility studies?

Please tell me quickly if this is of interest to you.
$my_email = 'dan' + 'iel' + '.' + 'rich' + 'ter' + '@' + 'wim' + 'ba' + '.com'

Author Team
8-)
#2 | Posted: 20 Jan 2004 22:48 
Ok, check your email now ;) Yes, we can help with advice but I don't really understand how can blind users access the forum? are you adding some kind of sound narrator software to it?

Author Anonymous
#3 | Posted: 7 Feb 2005 13:49 
Read the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/

Author Heri
Partaker
#4 | Posted: 4 Apr 2005 00:41 
"Ok, check your email now ;) Yes, we can help with advice but I don't really understand how can blind users access the forum? are you adding some kind of sound narrator software to it?"

Blind people can browse the web with an electronic grail (kind of like electronic grail books and Bibles), but it's virtually impossible to make a site compatible with them. It's not even worth trying - you can have a fully valid XHTML 1.0 Strict site with valid CSS and no images at all and it still wouldn't be fully compatible with an electronic grail. On top of that, the W3C WCA Guidlines are pretty much impossible to follow past Level 1.

Basic accessibility considerations should be using the alt attribute on all images, having HTML substitutes for Flash menus, and the use of CSS.

Other basic guidlines include:
* Not requiring users to have the Java plugin installed.
* Not requiring users to have JavaScript enabled.
* Not requiring users to have Internet Explorer.

All of these are pretty easy guildlines to follow.

Suggestions miniBB Support Forums / Suggestions /
 improving accessibility for blind people
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Try the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑