miniBB ®  
miniBB Support Forums
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /   

From the history of miniBB fraud: Gabriel Candiani

Author Paul
Lead Developer
#1 | Posted: 19 Apr 2011 06:17 
A little bit about one of the most fraudulent and unclassified orders we've got in the history of miniBB: at March 4, 2011, we've got an order via 2checkout from

Gabriel Candiani
IP: 74.103.213.18
IP Location: East Greenwich ( United States )
Email: gcandiani@gelank.com
Phone provided: 954-243-9068

The order was just about $6, for miniBB Captcha module.

As soon as the order has been verified on 2checkout.com, we have sent the information regarding download of the Captcha package. As we see in our records, this customer has been logged into the customers area and downloaded the module successfully.

After that, we've got no news from the customer, however at March 18, 2011, the following email came from 2checkout regarding this order:

2checkout:
***** CHARGEBACK PENDING - PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REFUND THIS ORDER***** The cardholder is currently disputing this transaction. As we do not know the specific reason for the dispute, please provide all relevant documentation pertaining to this transaction. You have 7 days to challenge this chargeback. If there is no documentation submitted to the credit card provider within this period, they will assume that we have accepted the chargeback. We will be unable to challenge once the chargeback process is completed. There is a non-refundable fee of $15 USD to challenge a chargeback. If you have any questions or would like to challenge this chargeback, please contact us...

I was quite surprised to experience chargeback for nothing. During miniBB orders history, we've experienced some fraudulent deals from the stolen credit cards or PayPal accounts, but here, obviously, the customer was doing the chargeback intentionally.

We have replied back with out negative comments and misunderstanding to 2checkout 3 times, but we have never got any reply or help from them regarding this issue. In result, at April 14, "the deal" has been finished:

2checkout:
We have received notification from the credit card provider that this chargeback is now complete. The chargeback details are: Cardholder Does Not Recognize Transaction . As the chargeback has been completed, we are no longer able to challenge the chargeback and the funds have been removed from your account. The chargeback would now need to be resolved with the cardholder directly.

We also have emailed the customer directly, but never got any reply back.

That's how the online orders system works. Somebody may pay you with a valid non-stolen credit card, get each and every product you offer (even a tangible one), then call the bank and say "s/he doesn't recognize the transaction and hell don't know what it was for". The bank will issue a refund not depending on the arguments the other side provide. And nobody will give you a proper info on the merchant side.

The most critical moment in this story is that I don't understand, why 2checkout informed us regarding the pending chargeback. It had no sense: whatever we replied or not, it didn't work anyway. The Bank i.e. credit card holder, is the boss here.

If you have any ideas how to avoid such deals, we would be pleased to know about them :)

Author kuopassa
Registered
#2 | Posted: 19 Apr 2011 20:57 
Isn't there some time period after the chargeback can't be done? Anyway this kind of action is unfortunate. I have had to communicate with PayPal's staff for a couple times and they do respond, but not with custom messages but by forwarding some generic email templates with answers to commonly asked questions. Maybe they don't write messages themselves because it would take too much time and this way they encourage people NOT to send them email unless they have something important to say.

Author Paul
Lead Developer
#3 | Posted: 20 Apr 2011 03:01 
kuopassa:
Isn't there some time period after the chargeback can't be done?

I believe there is, and it equals to 6 months.

kuopassa:
forwarding some generic email templates with answers to commonly asked questions

That's how most of the major merchants work. Sometimes I would prefer to see just couple of sentences of meaningful text, even without an intro 'greeting' and ending 'regards', but this would have more sense than racking through copy-pasted templates to look for a solution :)

Author tom322
Registered
#4 | Posted: 20 Apr 2011 11:58 
Paul:
I believe there is, and it equals to 6 months.

Yes, between 6 and 12 months (I think the max is 12 months depending on card type).

The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other / From the history of miniBB fraud: Gabriel Candiani Top
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message
 Short link for this topic:

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with our forum posting rules. If not, it may be locked or deleted with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contacts
  Extend your miniBB-forums, attaching the images and files,
get the File and Picture Attachments add-on!
Galleries / Attachments Addon for miniBB