New Year - New version!
There is a lot of new & updated stuff collected since the latest release. We're continuing to polish our code and all the small mistakes, also as expand some existing features. They are:
1. The big functional update: search users section in admin panel
. Now it is possible to delete users with 0 posts from ANY type of search in "checkbox" way (many users at once). Also there is a new option, which shows all disabled users (who have activity status 0). We found too much waste to introduce new language pack variable, so this menu will state as "Member: [No]" - we hope it's quite clear. Hope new features will allow to clean up your users database quickly (if you need it at all).
2. Other big functional update: now we store information about last poster's username in topics table
. That means, default version (if $textLd option is not enabled) will load up much faster on the first page (with only 2 mySQL requests!). Intermediate topics listing pages will also load faster (also, default version requires only 2 mySQL requests). This change is specially significant for large databases and communities.
3. One more big update regarding email notification changes: if user is subscribed to some topic, he will get next new replies notification ONLY after he clicks the URL in the email body and reads the thread
; or if he reads the thread as logged member on forums. That way it's possible to prevent from "dead" subscribers and users, who are not visiting the forums, and save up a lot of resources. Changes regarding this feature affect upgrade of database also.
4. Good anti-spam update: posting URLs is separated for registered members and guests; only registered members who posted more than 5 messages, are allowed to use URL/IMG BB codes (incl. smilies, if installed). Guests and new members still are able to post URLs (incl. those who are pointing to images); however, they will be shortened and only textual URL will be displayed (with no highlight and link). Until URLs are not clickable, they lose the main sense of spam and flood. We hope this little change will make your forums maintenance easier.
5. Little addition: when topic is locked, users are not able to do the following:
- Delete topic (even if it's allowed in options)
- Edit any message in this topic (even if they are still not expired by time)
- Delete any messages in this topic
These rules do not affect admins and moderators.
For upgrading your copy of the software, you will need to:
- upgrade the database with provided SQL commands
(via phpMyAdmin or other mySQL tool)
- upgrade the database running convdb.php tool ("Database upgrading script
" from our Downloads section)
- backing up and overwriting core script .php files
- optionally update some HTML templates from /templates/ folder
Please, read instructions below the Update History
on how to proceed with the upgrade. Upgrade is highly recommended
for current users despite it doesn't include any vulnerability fixes (since they weren't discovered since the release version 2.0.2a).