Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
News miniBB Support Forums / News /  

miniBB is under worldwide competitors attack

Page  Page 4 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »

Author Guest
~
#46 | Posted: 28 May 2010 14:31 
Installation is not the problem for me but I imagine that there are tons of people less skilled in IT stuff that will not know how to do it even by reading your manual. You need GUI installation not edit this file edit that file, something like that is just thing of the past.
And it will trn off many people.

Also you missing simple things for adminning.
Like post approval or option to turn on/off posting for guests.
Somehow I can't see it in admin panel.
And this I think is major flaw.
Although I really like your forum cause is extremely simple, but with such holes it makes it very work consumming if you want to keep it clean as a admin.

Author tom322
#47 | Posted: 28 May 2010 17:11 
Everything you mention above is there, check addons and manual.

Author Guest
~
#48 | Posted: 28 May 2010 20:41 
tom322
Is it?
I actually have spent all day today on researching about addons for it and couldn't find it.
And I have started writing my own...
But if you say it is out there could you please help and point me to it I would appreciate that a lot.
Thanks...

Author tom322
#49 | Posted: 28 May 2010 22:09 
Approval - Pre-moderation addon

Turn on/off posting for guests - One-option setting and variations

Other premium and very useful addons - Premium Extensions for miniBB

Author Guest
~
#50 | Posted: 28 May 2010 22:52 
Yes thanks.
You made me a beliver and I did through research and have found this,
Although I didn't think that extensions are at cost, but having a sponsor behind me i decided that ti would take me more time to make it work on my own and have purchased it.
I have already purchased extensions, Hopefully I get it soon,still waiting for download link.
I take my doubths back.
And I agree with authors.
This forum is in the cross hair of google, wonder why.
I personally like google for their google apps, and this is the first time i came across something like that.
My todays research was failing cause of my addiction to google.
On the other hand I pretty much hate bing, and have found handfull of informations about this forum.
Once again Kudos to miniBB.
Thanks

Author tom322
#51 | Posted: 29 May 2010 09:47 
Guest:
Although I didn't think that extensions are at cost, but having a sponsor behind me i decided that ti would take me more time to make it work on my own and have purchased it.
Well, they are worth every penny if you're serious and have long-term mind about your site :).

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#52 | Posted: 31 May 2010 03:22 
Guest:
I imagine that there are tons of people less skilled in IT stuff that will not know how to do it even by reading your manual
I don't understand why would we need to talk about such people in our project. Then let car companies to care about everybody knowing how the car is built and how it works, so every driver should know how to fix it on his own. Background Internet is just an engineering area. So far I don't know why there are so many "IT People" which think they could be skilled in quite difficult technology world just knowing how to click buttons.

I would give the right to work on it to professionals, no?.. Look around - 95% of forum programs installed with GUI and tons of features by *newbies*, are living for about few months. Like it's said above, there is nothing long-term. Not our game.

We never claimed miniBB is for absolute dorks. It's like a platform for integration with existing website. And if you build integrations, of course you must know how to edit plain text file and set some options. In a difficult case, this is really for coders only. That way we give possibilities for professional webmasters to earn.

Besides the program provides more speed and efficiency without GUI, I could mention that almost every program requires to enter mySQL data in a plain options file before you start GUI. I don't understand what is so difficult to open Notepad and just change one value to another. It's much faster than GUI and in this case, you really know what you're doing, at the very deep serious level.

Of course in the future we have plans to make an extra optional GUI interface for settings and options, but so far it all perfectly works without it.

Author sebo
Partaker
#53 | Posted: 1 Jun 2010 10:18 
You right Paul, sorry for that.
It just is in my nature whenever i write something I try to make it as much user friendly as I can to eliminate possible need of support later, but this is just me.
I thought that maybe because of that you are in the google cross hair.
Anyway.
Thanks for making such forum, I love the simplicity of it.

Author Just a webmaster
#54 | Posted: 8 Jun 2010 04:03 
The online world of Internet just lives his standard mass media story. The first 20 years of its existance were to overcome technical progress and difficulties. These years were spent by enthusiasts to work on the free will websites and projects and content.

Now it's clear that when Internet came to something stable and intuitive, it is going occupied by mafia like it happens with any other information spreading sphere. You guys are "under attack" of mafia even without their knowledge, like many other thousands of enthusiasts out there. Mafia just owns big money to control everything. That way Google controls how search results are displayed, and which are going on top.

That would be a miracle that people know that fact and stop using Google, choosing an alternative "objective" engine but that's rather impossible. Google pays a lot for their massive advertisements.

This sad fact doesn't affect only You. I am webmaster of couple of small websites which were visited and commented quite often, because they truly contains a useful information which is not found anywhere else. Past days they for some reason disappeared from Google, and now I have almost zero visits. I am going to promote them anywhere else than Google to gain some comments on my work. Anyway, I already feel disappointed, because the obvious freedom of telling and thinking now obviously controlled by mafia, despite many of us don't even know it.

And this thing... when money controls everything... it really kills. What a shame planet!!!

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#55 | Posted: 9 Jun 2010 09:49 
Just a webmaster
That's a nice point.

Actually all Google users should know in advance, that the first results Google gives back, are mostly paid by advertisers, are stolen from other websites, and do not provide the quality of the searched subject in many cases. But if you study all 10 first results pages, probably somewhere closer to the 10th page you may find what you really need. I've noticed it not just regarding miniBB keyword, but other information, too.

That's how the most planet's PR'ed search engine works.

I'm actually not disappointed that Google pushes down many websites intentionally. For me personally this only gives powers to fight against monopoly even more. The most disgusting here that the new generation of Internet doesn't know about anything else than Google. Look around how many people really *love* it. Even in the "next generation" features discussion, you may find comments like:

JOHNNY69:
I LOVE Google products and feel that the Chrome OS, releasing later this year, will pass Microsoft an leave them in the dust.
This shocks me. No comments.

So this is just swap of monopolies... where every little doesn't count at all.

Author tom322
#56 | Posted: 9 Jun 2010 10:20 
After I downloaded Chrome (for testing purposes) I noticed every time I started it it would scan my hard drive for a few minutes sometimes (they call it 'live update'). From then on I only use Safari for testing (since Safari uses the same engine as chrome) and remove chrome completely.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#57 | Posted: 9 Jun 2010 15:09 
Please note: this guy is talking not about the Chrome browser, but Google Chrome OS. G-boys are going to control everything.

Wikipedia:
The user interface takes a minimalist approach...
So miniBB is not the only one on the planet using minimalist approach ;-)

Author lozmatic
Partaker
#58 | Posted: 23 Jun 2010 22:51 
astass:
Another assumption of why miniBB can't be found in Google, is that Google intentionally lowers our websites ranks. It counts only about 500,000 of references of miniBB keyword, at the time their closest competitor, Yahoo, shows about 3,660,000 results. If you search for "miniBB" in Google, you will find reference to the original www.minibb.com only on the 6th or 7th results page.
This may have been suggested to you already, but why don't you revert back from including text such as 'powered by miniBB' rather than the image at the bottom of each page?

The keyword is featured in the alt tag but I think that actual text would be more significant to Google.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#59 | Posted: 24 Jun 2010 03:19 
You must agree that the icon logo looks much nicer :-) Also it's less visible on the page and more creates a "branding" feeling, in our opinion. So it's just the way we like it.

Common, stop thinking that you must do this and that just to make Google happy! I think we are free enough to do something for making happy ourselves. If you think the attribution link's 'look and feel' could affect Google's position, then I must say, it's a big Google's problem, not link's.

Author lozmatic
Partaker
#60 | Posted: 24 Jun 2010 03:45 
It was just a suggestion... given this discussion is about Google positioning too I just thought I'd contribute an idea.

And it's not about making Google happy but making it easier for people to find your website - a good thing, right?

The logo is cute but very small. Hard to understand what it's about. I'd rather have something that is instantly recognisable so that users of my forum are aware that the awesome system they have been using since 2003 is miniBB :)

Page  Page 4 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 
News miniBB Support Forums / News /
 miniBB is under worldwide competitors attack
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Try the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑