miniBB is coming up in new colors and version

Page  Page 6 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#76 | Posted: 17 Oct 2011 12:08 
Thanks for your suggestions.

tom322:
so that it doesn't seem like the forum has no new posts
I think, if a forum has new posts within the recent 2 days, it will be perfectly visible (Today/Yesterday notes appear in bold and make a very good point to the recognition of the fresh stuff).

tom322:
add a different class/background to such a super sticky table cell
Yes, I know about background, and I already tried it. I think we may wait a bit and see how this feature will be taken by the other users. There is no problem to add a different background, and may be even swapped backgrounds; but it worked for the old-school layout of the forum, when all cells were having a differently swapped background. It's kind of stereotype. In the version of miniBB's layout I'm working out these days, there is no space for swapped colors, and there is no space for the background colors. If I add the background color to the "super-sticky" row, it looks completely out of business.

Actually, when I worked out different customizations, cells having background color always made pain, cause they are quite difficult to adjust both colors to the website schema. In the newer miniBB, I will experiment with no color at all; that makes it even easier to adopt to any existing layout. Let's make the things simpler and see if it works :)

Ha Dung Hoang:
I like Super Sticky
Is it free? or Paid addon?
Super-sticky option will be included in the basic free package of miniBB.

Author Guest
~
#77 | Posted: 17 Oct 2011 12:45 
Paul:
It also reminds me a bit of symbols of WC rooms, but sometimes, forums really look similar to a public toilet :)
Hahaha Paul :D Don't you think the public toilet is a place which everybody visits, similarly, if everybody visits some forum, it's a good forum, and it's a good software which makes such a forum? Hidden symbolism in miniBB! Yay!

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#78 | Posted: 17 Oct 2011 14:02 
:-D
I didn't even think about it, but I see now this logo really has something to inspire :) Thanks!

Author tom322
#79 | Posted: 17 Oct 2011 16:44 
I understand about background. Still, I guess most users would appreciate it if they can have an option for a different class on sticky topics (you could leave background:transparent; others would choose something else ;). It would be win-win situation because many old users who may not want to do much layout changes won't have to do hard core script changes to achieve something that's possible to achieve another, better (CSS) way ;).

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#80 | Posted: 17 Oct 2011 20:00 
That is fine, I will add possibility to choose background :) This feature is optional, overall, it will be possible to completely turn it off...

Author tom322
#81 | Posted: 17 Oct 2011 21:16 
Thanks - now I will use it without fear too : )

Author tom322
#82 | Posted: 19 Oct 2011 20:05 
Not sure if to open a new thread or not. But the question is - as far as I remember, previously miniBB had a liquid width by default. Now it has a fixed with of 850px. Why 850px? I guess for 800/600 it would make sense to make it like 760px, not 850px.

But the more important question is if to use liquid (like 92% of page width) or fixed (like 850px width). Even though I generally prefer liquid, for users with high resolution screens it's easier to read on fixed width. But fixed width leaves a lot of white space on the left and right of the screen if resolution is high.

I guess there's no proper answer. Regarding ad revenue, I read that fixed width works considerably better.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#83 | Posted: 20 Oct 2011 11:53 
tom322:
for users with high resolution screens it's easier to read on fixed width
Exactly, that's done because of human reading comfort.

That's fine for me is there is a lot of blank space on the screen. In the newer version, as you see, I'm also trying to reach as more space as possible, less borders, less content grouped altogether. I don't think we must care about how many blank space left on the monitor - the primary target is to give users a content, and to give them to perceive it less eyes-distorting way ;)

About 800x600 screens - I think most of devices incl. mobile devices, nowadays have 1000 px in width at least. Of course there are some phone with a less screen, but as soon as I compile the mobile version, they will be targeted, too.

Author tom322
#84 | Posted: 20 Oct 2011 19:58 
On the other hand what I like about liquid layout is that you can just minimize window and you have no blank space AND less eyes movement ; ). But most users may be still too lazy to do that :

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#85 | Posted: 21 Oct 2011 16:40 
Sure, most of users (if not all) browse all pages in fully maximized windows, and rather nobody will re-size the screen (to put it back later) just because of some forum.

Author tom322
#86 | Posted: 21 Oct 2011 18:07 
Hm, good point. I noticed one of the popular forums has recently changed layout from 92% width to 80% width. I guess these are the best options - either fixed 800-1000px or 80%-90% width. Even though 80% seems a little radical to me, but I must say it reads better than 92%.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#87 | Posted: 24 Oct 2011 12:06 
I would say, "one of the popular" forums is not an argument. In general, there are no arguments in what other people do. What other people do, will work for them only; for you will work only that thing you do.

It's obvious that large monitors are not created for typing or reading. They are created for multimedia (photos, audio, video) to handle as more elements on the screen as possible. For reading, tiny screen or thin text block are most ideal. It's not even about 850px as per the whole width, it's about 650px as per the exact message width. I consider it the most comfortable for my eyes, you don't have to think what was the first word until you reached the last; and thin width allows to read the text "diagonally", quickly, without paying too much attention to details.

Author tom322
#88 | Posted: 24 Oct 2011 18:45 
Paul:
I would say, "one of the popular" forums is not an argument. In general, there are no arguments in what other people do. What other people do, will work for them only; for you will work only that thing you do.
Sometimes it may be recommended to learn on the mistakes on others ;)

So we can conclude, the narrow reading window is better for reading (the mini concept works again ;).

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#89 | Posted: 24 Oct 2011 21:49 
tom322:
Sometimes it may be recommended to learn on the mistakes on others ;)
If you will learn from mistakes, whatever you may learn from it, are mistakes.

tom322:
we can conclude, the narrow reading window is better for reading
Really! We could conclude it and take it as a fact.

mini concept always works :)

Author tkx211
Partaker
#90 | Posted: 25 Oct 2011 18:16 
When I come back miniBB, what I interested in is the newest posts. All thought it have the link 1 2 3..., but I think the title links in Recent Topics should be navigate to the latest page.
Thank you

Page  Page 6 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next » 
News miniBB Support Forums / News /
 miniBB is coming up in new colors and version
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Check out the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑