FAQ miniBB Support Forums / FAQ /  

Upgrade and Upgrading / Migrating guides

Page  Page 8 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8

Author jabartja
Partaker
#106 | Posted: 3 Sep 2016 13:55 
Hello,

I'm new here and have a few questions.
I'm using minnibb 1.7 and need to reinstall this on a newer system.
I did copy the files made a back-up of sql file.
Created a database with the same name.
When i start up in my browser i can see the first page with the forums.
But when i click on one of them the link will not open.
I just return to the index.php
Anyone a solution for this problem ?

Thanks already

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#107 | Posted: 3 Sep 2016 16:58 
jabartja: what you need to achieve at first, is having the forums database fully compatible with the latest miniBB version. For this, you need to use the tool named convdb.php, also, completely follow the Upgrading History and apply all updates mentioned for the database (in each version paragraph) manually.

After that, just install the new version, and plug it in with the updated database in setup_options.php. Then modify new version's templates, CSS etc. That's the only simple way.

If you have problems, just describe them more accurately. "But when i click on one of them the link will not open." - what does it exactly mean? 404 status is displayed? What is an example of the link? Do you use .htaccess and mod-rewritten links? Your questions could not be answered here, if they are not detailed.

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#108 | Posted: 17 Nov 2019 14:54 
G'day, Paul.

Two questions:

a) I'm running miniBB v3.2.2, and would like to get my installation upgraded to the latest v3.4.2. To upgrade, do I need to follow every step from 3.2.2 - 3.3 beta 1 until the end of the !UPDATE.txt, or can I jump straight to the final section of the document (i.e. "Changes comparision: 3.4.1 - 3.4.2 [released: October 28th, 2019]")?

b) My hosting provider will be upgrading PHP 5.6 and 7.0 to PHP 7.2 at the end of this month. Is miniBB (v. 3.2.2+) compatible with PHP 7.2 (and higher)?

With thanks and best wishes,
MB

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#109 | Posted: 17 Nov 2019 17:48 
marsbar
Hello,

a) Since 3.2.2 there were a lot of changes implemented, so most likely you have to just overwrite almost all core files, those bb_func_*.php, also bb_functions.php, index.php and setup_mysqli.php, add new templates, add/update .js and image files, and apply database modifications. Regarding templates and custom updates, it's the proper way to go following from the section you've mentioned ("Changes comparision: 3.2.2 - 3.3 beta 1 [released: August 2nd, 2017]"), 'till the latest release paragraph. You should not apply all changes for your templates, only those which are mandatory.

b) I didn't test it on my own, but we have a confirmation it works on PHP 7.1. I couldn't be sure on 7.2 and definitely, there could be some problems with 7.3. I will have a proper testing environment ready by the next week or at the end of the month only, so I could test and confirm it on my own.

Author tom322
#110 | Posted: 17 Nov 2019 23:58 
It should run correctly on PHP 7.2 and 7.3 unless you have some old or complex addons installed :

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#111 | Posted: 16 Feb 2020 09:02 
Hi, Paul.

Thanks for your advice; last weekend I decided to be thorough and followed the changes, line by line, from v3.2.2. The process took me hours, and it involved updating the database, overwriting of most of the script files as well as some tempates. For a week now, my v3.4.2 set-up has been running fine on PHP 7.2--as tom322 reassured me that it would.

Q1: I am not using miniBB's default skin. I am wondering whether there is a non core-destructive way to hide/suppress the "$lastPosterIcon" from the "Last reply" column of my "Recent discussions" list -- please visit https://www.tintinologist.org/forums/ -- the list is about half way down the page.

I think scripts bb_func_ldisc and bb_func_vtopics and templates main_posts_cell and main_last_discuss cells are the affected files.

Q2: Is there a non core-destructive way to make "{$LinkToLastPostInTopic}" output text (e.g. View latest reply) instead of "»»"?

Q3: Is there a need to update all add-ons after each core upgrade?
Add-ons I am unsure about:
disclaimer (Sep 2015)
members
merge (Dec 2015)
movepost
news
premoderation v2
captcha
mobile version v1.5
preview v3.4 - current
rss v3.4 - current

As always, your advice and help will be gatefully received.
marsbar

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#112 | Posted: 16 Feb 2020 12:50 
marsbar:
I am wondering whether there is a non core-destructive way to hide/suppress the "$lastPosterIcon" from the "Last reply" column of my "Recent discussions" list
Try to set:

$lastPosterIcon='';
in setup_options.php and pls report if it helped.

Note that this icon is also present in forum listings, but setting it like above should remove it from both sections.

marsbar:
Is there a non core-destructive way to make "{$LinkToLastPostInTopic}" output text (e.g. View latest reply) instead of "»»"?
I think this could be done applying some codes in parseTopic() if you set it or modify in bb_blugins.php:

function parseTopic(){

/* rewriting $LinkToLastPostInTopic */
if(isset($GLOBALS['LinkToLastPostInTopic']) and $GLOBALS['LinkToLastPostInTopic']!=''){
$GLOBALS['LinkToLastPostInTopic']='<a href="'.$GLOBALS['lmurl1'].'" class="mnblnk">View latest reply</a>';
}
/* --rewriting $LinkToLastPostInTopic */

}
marsbar:
Is there a need to update all add-ons after each core upgrade?
It is a recommended action. However if your add-ons work as earlier, and if you are satisfied with them, you could sometimes skip immediate updates. Looking at your add-ons list, I couldn't remember there were critical security issues in these packages in the recent years. Whatever updates were made, are for the Mobile version or template changes and possibly minor fixes. The major fixes were in the file-uploading related add-ons (FileBank or File Attachments).

For compatibility of your add-ons, you have to check the add-on's release notes, they are listed in the README.txt file of each add-on's at the top of file - and I mean you should check these notes for the add-ons you have installed. The miniBB version means the initial version this or that add-on could work with. So for example, the Captcha add-on we have now, could work with miniBB starting v3.1, that means, the older version you have could definitely work with your upgraded forum.

If some add-on was updated with a notable change, I always mention it in our Tidings, so you may to check this section as well - starting from the date of your latest upgrade and then following topics created later this date.

Author marsbar
Associated Member
#113 | Posted: 16 Feb 2020 14:34 
Hi again, Paul!

Thanks for your speedy reply.

a) Suppressing "$lastPosterIcon" => your solution works!

b) Rewriting {$LinkToLastPostInTopic} to output custom text => your solution works!

c) Regarding add-ons:

Thank you for your detailed explanation. I have been mistaking the version number next to the add-on names as being the version of the add-on instead of the lowest version miniBB that the add-on is compatible with.

So far running older versions of the add-ons has not presented any (major) problems; nevertheless, I will follow your advice: go through the readme files, and the Tidings thread, to check for anything critical.

Again, thank you very, very much for your time and help.

With warm greetings from Australia,
marsbar

Page  Page 8 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
FAQ miniBB Support Forums / FAQ /
 Upgrade and Upgrading / Migrating guides
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Get the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑