Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
News miniBB Support Forums / News /  

miniBB 3.3 v2 released, a few add-ons updated

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next »

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#1 | Posted: 21 Jan 2018 19:46 
miniBB 3.3 v2 (release candidate #2) is now released and is available to download. This version is mostly about improving of the Mobile/responsive mode templates and CSS; also contains a few of little bugfixes not related to security, and W3C-validation fixes.

The most important functional change is about different algorithm of splitting large words, based on the $post_word_maxlength setting. In bb_func_txt.php script, there is introduced a new experimental function wrapText (the older one is still kept as wrapTextOld for making it possible to get back at anytime). The new function is more simpler and it also takes care about UTF-8 chars, splitting them properly, in opposite to the older one; also as a splitting element, it uses <wbr> in opposite to earlier space. From now, the $post_word_maxlength setting will also have the value of 30. While developing the mobile version, I've concluded it's so far the most universal way of splitting large words on screens and mobile devices at once, following the same algorithm. Later, I will also release the script, which converts all older posts to split the character following the new chunking value, in the case whoever needs it. Currently, all posts on miniBB forums were updated using this script, and I hope now they finally look completed on any mobile screen.

With this release, the update of miniBB website and miniBB forums with all add-ons is finally completed. Now all our pages should be 100% mobile-friendly and also fully W3C-valid.

The following add-on-packages now are also updated with the same codes as on the miniBB forums (except specially mentioned, all changes mostly affect the Mobile layout and no basic functionality, so they could be still compatible with the older versions of miniBB, and the currentl stable version):

- Human Authorization (CAPTCHA)

- Favorites

- Forums Checker

- File Bank - in addition to Mobile mode changes, this add-on is heavily updated with the uploading algorithm change, new settings for allowed files, security improvements, file-checking types and sizes on the uploading form, and a few more things, which later will be also brought to the File Uploads addon.

- Moving Replies

- Who's Online

The next step of updates is working out all add-ons, Premium first, then Free, making them compatible with the Mobile template and so making them to work on any Mobile device by default. The job will be continued next week. I'll try to update the miniBB demo first, and will start improving all add-ons step-by-step. After all this being completed, the Mobile template should go on the official release and in the Compiler; this should complete the biggest miniBB workout in its history.

By now, the older Mobile layout add-on is completely removed from minibb.com. m.minibb.com will no longer be available. Your phone or mobile device, if recognized, should automatically switch to the Mobile layout when entering the default domain i.e. minibb.com or minibb.com/forums. If you problems with this switch and you see just a default desktop layout with no chance to switch to Mobile, try to locate your mobile browser to this URL:

https://www.minibb.com/yd.php

You should see the headers your device sends to the server. Report your headers, and we'll add your device to the recognizable mobile devices. The code to recognize the mobile device is now also included in miniBB 3.3 -> setup_options.php by default; explanations are given in the Manual.

As usually, you could study the changes of process in the Updating History file; but you still don't need to hurry to update your current forum with the new version, until the stable and finished packaged is released.

Stay tuned! :)

Author tom322
#2 | Posted: 22 Jan 2018 18:55 
It is confusing where the $GLOBALS['chunkTag'] is value taken from (or what a default value should be) in the new wrapText function..

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#3 | Posted: 22 Jan 2018 19:04 
tom322
It's just supposed you should not re-define a default one, which is <wbr>. This one makes all long phrases like long URLs not broken like they should be (the converter released later won't fix them anyway). However if you'd like to stay with a 'space', you could set

$chunkTag=' ';
in setup_options.php.

Author tom322
#4 | Posted: 22 Jan 2018 19:10 
Oh I see.. I thought it must have some non-empty value but now I see this <wbr> is actually a valid HTML element. In the end I'm not sure if it would make a big difference if to use a space or <wbr> because both of them are equal opportunity to add a space ;)

Author tom322
#5 | Posted: 22 Jan 2018 19:17 
(hm, I guess my point should be that in setup_options.php there was no definition of $chunkTag, not sure if there should be though). Ie. maybe this should be by default there:

$chunkTag='<wbr>'; unless it's somewhere else..

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#6 | Posted: 22 Jan 2018 19:27 
tom322:
both of them are equal opportunity to add a space
No, they are very different. A space visibly breaks the long word/URL, <wbr> does not. <wbr> works even for the old-generation browsers, and it just tells the browser - ok, if something doesn't fit to your screen, put a break here. But if the long phrase fits the screen, the end user sees it as is. In opposite, the end user will always see a break even if it's not needed.

In the new version, I have reserved an opportunity to re-define the new approach, just "for any case" similarly like a lot of things are reserved in miniBB. But in general, it's nowhere mentioned by now, 'cause this seems the proper way of split the long words. It should not be re-defined "by mistake" like it often happens ;)

Author tom322
#7 | Posted: 22 Jan 2018 19:33 
I see, so <wbr> is better than a space. So my remaining question is - should this be defined in setup_options.php:

$chunkTag='<wbr>';

? Or it will work correctly without it..

Author tom322
#8 | Posted: 22 Jan 2018 19:47 
What I'd try to do is to add this on top of the new wrapText function:

if(!isset($GLOBALS['chunkStr'])) $chunkStr='<wbr>'; else $chunkStr=$GLOBALS['chunkStr'];

and replace in this function:$GLOBALS['chunkTag'] to $GLOBALS['chunkStr'];

That way nothing else ('chunkStr' should already be added to index.php) would be needed to change I guess. I'm guessing ;)

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#9 | Posted: 22 Jan 2018 20:29 
You're right (and were guessing it properly ;) -- thank you! I finally understood what you were meaning only taking a look at the code... was writing my replies from mobile earlier ;)

It seems while working out two different functions, I just didn't concatenate them properly. Now $GLOBALS['chunkTag'] should be replaced to $GLOBALS['chunkStr'], you suggested it right. The package is updated, and you may try it out.

My other proposals above were are correct (regarding <wbr> vs. '[space]' etc.).

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#10 | Posted: 23 Jan 2018 23:50 
Update: getting more reports regarding the new wrapText function, I was forced to fix it again, now it's updated here on miniBB forums and also in the 3.3 v2 beta package. I hope now it should work properly... $post_word_maxlength should be set to 25 by default.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#11 | Posted: 25 Jan 2018 21:10 
Update #2: wrapText function has been improved again, this time also specifying the possible customization of the splitting pattern ($splitExpression), and making the counting of special symbols more precise. bb_func_txt.php and index.php scripts were updated.

Author PASCARD
#12 | Posted: 22 Feb 2018 20:55 
Hello ,
I wanted to know when the private messaging will be updated for last version ? and if updated can you add something profile to direct pm.
Also can you make a Like plugin . Its very wanted.
Cordialy,
PL

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#13 | Posted: 22 Feb 2018 21:04 
PASCARD:
when the private messaging will be updated for last version ?
Hopefully, closer to the end of this month (February 2018). This is the first premium add-on which is going to be updated after the most popular free add-ons updates I've planned.

PASCARD:
and if updated can you add something profile to direct pm.
Sorry, I didn't understand the question, could you explain in more details?

PASCARD:
Also can you make a Like plugin . Its very wanted.
I was thinking about it and I have some drafts, so most likely after all version 3.3 updates are completed to the final release, I will work it out.

Author Guest
~
#14 | Posted: 22 Feb 2018 21:59 
Hello ,

I don't see a link on profile file to direct send a pm to username on the test forum cf picture :

PM link in profile not visible

Only a menu private message where we can enter manualy username to send a pm ...

Author Guest
~
#15 | Posted: 22 Feb 2018 22:34 
and yes a like plugin will be very cool , because it's almost the only feature missing for me i think ^^

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 
News miniBB Support Forums / News /
 miniBB 3.3 v2 released, a few add-ons updated
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Check out the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑