Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
News miniBB Support Forums / News /  

miniBB 3.3: yet another fancy layout

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#1 | Posted: 2 Aug 2017 19:19 
Greetings to everyone.

MiniBB follows its updating plan for 2017, and we start from the new layout regarding the new engine version, a new website, and a new logo. Right now the miniBB website comes in responsive mode, and it could be easily accessed both by desktop computers and mobile devices. Besides of it, it should be mobile friendly by Google.

Forums are released in the mobile friendly version as well. At least, they are now this way interpreted by the Google tool. Despite of it, while working out the new miniBB release, I've come to a new idea of how to implement the truly mobile version of forums. The updated templates and codes set is the task I hope to work out this month.

Regarding the update of your current forum, you should not be in hurry for it right now, however it's possible to get some clue from the Updating History file or package on what's happening and what's going to happen. Look below at the bottom line of this file for the new version notes.

You could also download and install the upcoming miniBB version 3.3 Beta 1.

I'm almost sure this release should be stable, as no major functionality was added to it, no critical security fixes, just a lot of layout changes, CSS changes, and some markup changes. This all is done for more easier adjustment of miniBB to any existing website layout, and it is done with the plan of adjust it to the Adobe Kuler project. It also tries to follow the modern trends and now aligns to the Google Fonts (which is, of course, still optional, and miniBB still could run with any default web fonts defined in CSS).

So, as soon as the mobile version is ready, and as soon all add-ons are adopted with the new version, I will make the generic switch to the "Stable" release of this version.

By now, consider the new look, and post any notes regarding whatever wrong you may discover on the new website.

Also, I will post every new update associated with this release, to this thread.

Enjoy your days! :)

Author kuopassa
Partaker
#2 | Posted: 4 Aug 2017 02:21 
It looks really nice! Fresh colors. :-)

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#3 | Posted: 6 Aug 2017 15:02 
kuopassa:
It looks really nice! Fresh colors. :-)
Thanks for the feedback :)

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#4 | Posted: 6 Aug 2017 15:03 
A quick note: Vimeo codes were updated today for being compatible with the current version of Vimeo embedding strategies, which are mostly about the switch to https.

Author Jan
Partaker
#5 | Posted: 7 Sep 2017 03:04 
any news?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#6 | Posted: 7 Sep 2017 16:23 
I'm still working on the new mobile version. The features I've planned seem to require more time than I've expected :)

Author Jamel
#7 | Posted: 28 Sep 2017 01:19 
I truly love your site.. Pleasant colors & theme.
Did you make this website yourself? Please reply back as I'm trying to create my very own blog and want to find out where you got this from or just what the theme is called. Appreciate it!

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#8 | Posted: 29 Sep 2017 12:42 
Jamel
This site and theme are created from scrath manually, it's 100% our original theme and software, and since it's an open source software, you are free to take it and apply for your own website.

Author Nelle
#9 | Posted: 26 Oct 2017 06:24 
Greetings from Ohio! I'm bored at work so I decided to check out your blog on my iphone during lunch break.
I really like the info you present here and can't wait to take a look when I get home. I'm amazed at how quick your blog loaded on my mobile .. I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, very good site!

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#10 | Posted: 15 Dec 2017 20:23 
This is just a quick note on the progress of developing the Mobile mode. Right now the public interface of the official miniBB forum present here, is hopefully 100% completed. I am developing it using quite a small window mode of 305x478 px, and testing it live while I'm on wheels, on my outdated Windows Phone Lumia 435 with the 400x800 px screen and quite an old-fashioned Windows 8' Internet Explorer. I suppose, since it all works smoothly on such an "dinosaur environment", hopefully on more modern nowadays devices it will work as expected, being quick and stable as planned.

Right now I will leave the older domain m.minibb.com opened, so anyone could compare the older and the newer look... but this sub-domain will be suspended soon, and I invite anyone browsing with a Mobile device, to test the Mobile version right here on https://www.minibb.com/forums/. The script should recognize your device automatically, and if it belongs to something "mobile", you will be switched to the Mobile mode on-the-fly. No extra sub-domain would be needed in the new version of the Mobile template. Clicking the "Desktop/Mobile" button located on the menu's top right corner, you could always switch back mode to the Desktop or Mobile version. Like to repeat, this is available to the Mobile device owners only. Desktop users will see the full version by default.

The work will be continued in December to update the Admin's panel interface of the basic forum, as well some add-ons installed on this forum, this all is still *not* compatible with the Mobile mode - like Checker, File Bank or Favorites add-ons. Add-ons like Who's Online, Captcha, and Moving Replies are already made compatible with the Mobile mode, and will be officially released after the work-out of the miniBB forum will be completed. By that time, I also hope to release the updated miniBB core package, which will stand even closely to the stable release of miniBB 3.3.

Stay tuned.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#11 | Posted: 20 Dec 2017 23:18 
Just a quick update on the Favorites and Checker add-ons installed here on miniBB forums.

While Checker doesn't have anything new in the core, and is only additionally made with the Mobile layout, Favorites add-on now will have a new approach in regards to adding a Topic to Favorites. This is an experimental approach of JavaScript/Iframe combination, which I often used on many other sites and which absolutely works in many environments because of its simplicity (and it's not AJAX). So now when you add a Topic to Favorites, instead of the (previous) pop-windows, you should see a default JavaScript alert of an added Topic, and an immediate change of an added icon. This is also made compatible now with the Mobile layout, as well as the add-on in whole.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#12 | Posted: 31 Jan 2018 23:28 
Continued on the release update.

News miniBB Support Forums / News /
 miniBB 3.3: yet another fancy layout
 Share Topic's Link

This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Install the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑