®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
News miniBB Support Forums / News /  

miniBB 3.2 is now

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#1 | Posted: 1 Oct 2015 21:58 
Good daylight, sirs and madams. An exciting new month comes with the new release of miniBB, too.

miniBB's version 3.2 is about enhanced security improvements, and some new or extended options of the forum management. It also contains additions for the newer (database-based) version of the upcoming Premoderation add-on. Follow the related thread of all updated add-ons prior to this release, which should be preferably updated as well. The new version of Premoderation add-on should follow soon.

As usually, the upgrading history is kept in the special file which you need to study for bringing your forum the most desired effect in upgrading. Changes regarding this release, are listed at the end of this file.

Don't forget to backup your forums files and database prior to upgrading!

For security updates, we appreciate the help and advice of:

- Nicholas Sciberras from Acunetix
- Onur Yilmaz and Robert Abela from Netsparker
- Tim Coen from Curesec

In the case of any questions or remarks, welcome to post in this thread.

Good luck! :)

Author tom322
#2 | Posted: 2 Oct 2015 20:43 
One forum upgraded, half a dozen more to go ;). Thanks also to the security guys who use their knowledge for common good, not to destroy something. And thanks to Paul for relentless and hard work in the road to perfection ;)

Author mdcr
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 5 Dec 2015 20:10 
Hello,
I have 1.7 mimiBB, could you please show me the procedure of 3.2 miiBB upgrade?

Thank you.
VL

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#4 | Posted: 5 Dec 2015 22:27 
mdcr:
I have 1.7 mimiBB, could you please show me the procedure of 3.2 miiBB upgrade?
You have 10-years old release! And so you have a really tough work to complete.

The most simple and quick way would be just to install the new version (currently, it is 3.2.1 not 3.2), but with the older database you have. So you have to install the newest version, but later replace all table names to the current DB you have. Then you have to upgrade the database with the commands, provided under the upgrading history file (you need to follow all sql changes each version mentions, version-by-version). And after making sure it works with the older DB, then you could adjust your layout and CSS, which are also dramatically changed since these times.

We also could help you for a fee regarding this. Contact us for hiring for this service.

Author kuopassa
Partaker
#5 | Posted: 6 Dec 2015 04:58 
Also in mdcr's case I strongly suggest taking a whole backup of original database and all the forum's files. Then in case problems occur there's no need to experience a nervous breakdown. :-)

Author mdcr
Partaker
#6 | Posted: 6 Dec 2015 06:27 
It's my high school reunion board, and it has lot of junk messages. I'm not sure to have a fresh 3.2.1 installation or upgrade?

Author kuopassa
Partaker
#7 | Posted: 6 Dec 2015 07:01 
If it doesn't have many regular users who write content, maybe it'd be easiest to lock the old forum and install a fresh forum to some other folder. That way you could use the old forum as an archive that people could read, but not post new content.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#8 | Posted: 6 Dec 2015 07:20 
mdcr
You need to have a fresh installation at first. For example, if now you have all files under /forum/ then create /forum_new/ and install the new miniBB there. Then in setup_options.php you could rename tables, changing them to the original (older) ones, and possibly change other settings, so they comply with the older settings.

Then you should proceed with upgrading the database, and go through the steps of adjusting the newer version layout to your possibly customized older layout. When you are done, rename /forum/ to /forum_old/, but /forum_new/ to /forum/. That's the easier way. You have no other easy possibilities to simply upgrade the 10-years old software.

Author mdcr
Partaker
#9 | Posted: 6 Dec 2015 16:45 
I'm really appreciated with all of your upgrade suggestions. My hosting company stops supporting PHP4, so website stops working.
I have IT background, installation and customizations are not problems. But I don't have time right now, and still waiting for Paul's quotes of upgrade database. If I could raise fund, then I'd go for it.

Author Patriboom
Partaker
#10 | Posted: 26 Jan 2016 04:06 
Paul
Hello everyone, thanks for your work.

A question: is there enough new stuff in 3.2 to need new manual's translation ?

I'm having a look on some language docs. For now, i've found very little to change. If it's the same for the manual, I'll wait for next release for such hard work.

Please let me know.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#11 | Posted: 27 Jan 2016 04:15 
Patriboom:
is there enough new stuff in 3.2 to need new manual's translation ?
Not sure what kind of manual do you mean, but this release is mostly about functional and security improvements, and there is no new interface or usability options, which could be considered as major.

News miniBB Support Forums / News /
 miniBB 3.2 is now
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Check out the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑