miniBB

®
Support Forums

| Start | Register | Search | Statistics | File Bank | Manual |
The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /  

what permissions miniBB files should have

Author Anonymous
#1 | Posted: 7 Dec 2003 23:39 
what are the permission setting for all those files?
755?
666?
document does don't mention!

thanks

Author Team
8-)
#2 | Posted: 8 Dec 2003 09:54 
We are not using files for writing, so reading permissions for all groups are enough.

On most of nowadays hosting, it's not required to change permissions manually - they all are set up automatically to launch miniBB.

Author Anonymous
#3 | Posted: 9 Dec 2003 04:48 
how about directories? 777?

Author Team
8-)
#4 | Posted: 9 Dec 2003 10:11 
The same for directories.

Author miguel
#5 | Posted: 2 Sep 2006 16:28 
Reading permissions for all groups wold be 444??

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#6 | Posted: 3 Sep 2006 08:47 
744 should be enough for everything (except for "shared_files" folder, if you're using some files-based add-ons).

Author Guest
~
#7 | Posted: 1 Aug 2008 17:12 
I had to find out that for the folders (img, forum_icons, lang, templates) you need to set permissions of 755. If you use 744 the forum will not be displayed correctly. Files inside the folders can't be read in such a case because to read a file in a folder you have to execute folder - reading it won't do (at least that's what it seems like according to my observations).

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#8 | Posted: 2 Aug 2008 03:32 
Thanks for addition; I think any good hosting should be pre-configured to run miniBB without any special action. I.e. when you upload these folders/files on the server, they must be ready to go automatically. This is what a "good" server means, at least it works in my practice. If you need to set up specific folder permissions during basic setup, I would recommend to think if it's a really stable hosting server.

Author Danny2000
Partaker
#9 | Posted: 4 Dec 2009 14:22 
Paul:
744 should be enough for everything (except for "shared_files" folder, if you're using some files-based add-ons).
I set this one.. but it won't open the site and other forum icon in img and some other things..
it gaves this error "Forbidden" ...

If I set 711 or 755 then User can see my Templates like this:

Templates Directory

which permission can I set that they won't see Templates or other Directory Like this.. ?

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#10 | Posted: 4 Dec 2009 14:58 
It's not related to permissions, but to the web-server's option related to Directory Listing, and you should disable that. You may search tons of solutions in Google by "directory listing apache disable" regarding Apache, and if you have another server, look by its configuration options.

Author Danny2000
Partaker
#11 | Posted: 7 Dec 2009 02:23 
Paul:
directory listing apache disable
Thanks I got it and it works now.. ;-)

Disable Directory Listings

I entered the following line in my .htaccess file to disable a directory's contents:

Options -Indexes

Author Guest
~
#12 | Posted: 22 Aug 2014 14:57 
under install it says
Vulnerable. In your current forums folder, where are you are going to install the forums, PHP script is able to create, delete and modify files. We recommend to set permissions for generic forums folder as read-only.

so i set it to 744 as said in here wnen go back and refresh the install page it says

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access _install.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Author Paul
Lead Developer 
#13 | Posted: 23 Aug 2014 18:40 
Don't change anything if you are not sure how. We couldn't be precise at what you have changed and what it caused, because we are not your server's admins.

The error you mention in most cases means your hoster allows auto-upgrades for other PHP scripts like WordPress, and the folder must be allowed to be modified for that, this is because it's vulnerable. But if it's properly configured and the script can't go beyond this folder, you can safely put miniBB in it and skip the warning.

The Other miniBB Support Forums / The Other /
 what permissions miniBB files should have
 Share Topic's Link

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Post as a Guest, leaving the Password field blank. You could also enter a Guest name, if it's not taken by a member yet. Sign-in and post at once, or just sign-in, bypassing the message's text.

Before posting, make sure your message is compliant with forum rules; otherwise it could be locked or removed with no explanation.

miniBB Support Forums Powered by Forum Software miniBB ® Home  Features  Requirements  Demo  Download  Showcase  Gallery of Arts
Compiler  Premium Extensions  Premium Support  License  Contact Us
Install the Captcha add-on: protect your miniBB-forums from the automated spam and flood.

⇑